View Full Version : WM5 and installing apps

CaptApollo
07-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone,

We have a user at work who got a xv6700? with WM5 and I am trying to help him out. He wanted a pdf viewer and he bought Orneta PDF Reader Mobile. It of course won't view the images, which is what he wants (I wish he would start reading, he would have seen that in the description, he asks me a question, and I know nothing about pocket pc, and I read for him and give him the answer). Anyway, it seems to be installed properly, but it did not put an icon anywhere to click, when you double tap a pdf, the program just opens and shows a blank screen or the last pdf and you need to tap open, and browse to the pdf that you just double tapped. It is in Program File/Reader so I think it installed.

Question is, do most apps give icons and where do they put them, should it open on a double tap, is this program messed up?

Thanks again.

John.

Brad Adrian
07-26-2006, 09:36 PM
I've never installed that particular app, but virtually all WM apps install an icon -- somewhere. Most are simply in the Programs screen. If the user decided to add that one to his Start menu, though, then it probably will NOT show up on the Programs screen; usually the device allows the icon to be in one place or the other. Does it show up when you tap the Start button?

Also, I don't know what specific features he was looking for, or whether you might also need a PDF viewer, but you can download a free one from the Adobe site.

JesterMania
07-26-2006, 10:54 PM
By default, you would single-tap to open a program :D . Anyways, if the icon seems to be missing, you can manually create an icon by browsing to the device in Windows Explorer, creating a shortcut of the .exe, and moving it to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder on the pocket pc.

CaptApollo
07-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe he did not install it correctly. He won't read the manual.

Do you know if the Adobe PDF viewer works like it does on the Palm. On the Palm platform, you have to run the PDF's through an app on your computer to convert them, and then sync them to your Palm.

Thanks.

Brad Adrian
07-27-2006, 02:38 PM
...On the Palm platform, you have to run the PDF's through an app on your computer to convert them, and then sync them to your Palm.
No, the Pocket PC version does NOT require pre-processing of the PDF file. It was recently updated and, IMO, it handles text flow pretty well.

You can get it here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readerforppc.html

Janak Parekh
07-27-2006, 04:11 PM
No, the Pocket PC version does NOT require pre-processing of the PDF file. It was recently updated and, IMO, it handles text flow pretty well.
While it does not require it, the desktop conduit can improve the state of the PDF file for mobile reading -- for files that aren't already "tagged", it can tag the file, which enables a flowed reading view.

So depending on what you're doing, you may or may not prefer to use the desktop to copy the PDF files over to the Pocket PC.

--janak

CaptApollo
07-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I work for an advertising agency and this guy is expecting to be able to view pdf's of our ads on his phone. We will give the Adobe Reader a try. He wants to be able to view them on the road without his laptop. He is trying not to have to carry his laptop. I don't think we are quite at the point yet where a mobile phone can replace a laptop.

Thanks again,

John.

Cybrid
07-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I work for an advertising agency and this guy is expecting to be able to view pdf's of our ads on his phone. We will give the Adobe Reader a try. He wants to be able to view them on the road without his laptop. He is trying not to have to carry his laptop. I don't think we are quite at the point yet where a mobile phone can replace a laptop.

Thanks again,

John.No, we aren't :oops: ;)
Another one worth testing Foxit which is a smaller standalone exe.There is a free evaluation version.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-28-2006, 01:52 AM
I've found PocketXPDF (http://pocketxpdf.sourceforge.net/) to be a much better alternative to Adobe reader - at least, it doesn't take up 10MB of storage!

CaptApollo
07-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Cybrid,

I Googled Foxit and went to foxitsoftware.com, but there was no mention of a reader (or any software) for PocketPC. Did I miss something, or go to the wrong site?

Thanks, John.

Brad Adrian
07-28-2006, 05:05 PM
...this guy is expecting to be able to view pdf's of our ads on his phone.
Everybody knows I'm all for Living La Vida "Why? Because I Can," but reading PDF versions of advertisements on a phone is deinitely stretching the envelope, especially if seeing precise layout is important.

Eveybody's needs are different, but there is no way I'd venture away from the office for more than a day or two without my notebook. Even as advanced as Pocket PCs have become, I recognize that my Axim is definitely NOT a desktop replacement!