View Full Version : Firefox bookmarks to PPC

JesterMania
07-26-2006, 03:39 PM
I did a search but unfortunately, couldn't come up with anything useful. Basically, I would like to make it so that everytime I dock my PPC, ActiveSync can grab the bookmarks from Firefox and place them on my PPC (probably place them in the \Windows\Favorites or equivalent folder) so they can be used with NetFront or PIE. If anybody knows of a way to do this, that'd be great!

applejosh
07-26-2006, 05:09 PM
This involves editing your prefs.js (the configuration file that Firefox uses), so be careful. I take no responsibility if this causes your system to catch fire or anything else.

I just tested this, and it works at least with NetFront (3.3). This also is assuming you're using XP or 2000.

Copy your Bookmarks.html file from your Firefox app directory (eg. C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<gibberish>\Bookmarks.html) to the directory that you sync files with (eg. C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Pocket_PC Documents).

Edit your prefs.js (should be in the same place as the original Bookmarks.html file) file to include this entry: user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Pocket_PC Documents\bookmarks.html");

(credit: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#beh_bookmarks)

That should result in your Firefox bookmarks file being the file in your Pocket PC's sync directory. Everytime you add a bookmark in Firefox, the changes will be copied to the device. You probably should not, however, make changes to the file on the Pocket PC as you do risk screwing up all the bookmarks. (Backups are always a good thing for just about everything.)

Kind of a convoluted process to set up, but in testing it right now, it looks to work pretty well. (Standard backup precautions apply before doing any of this, of course.)

drowe
07-26-2006, 06:16 PM
If you don't change your bookmarks that often, what I do is in Firefox I just export the bookmarks to the C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Pocket_PC Documents directory. It is a more manual process, but I generally only do it once in a while. That file won't show up as "favorites" in PIE, but I have it set to be my home page and the links are valid and work by clicking on them.

JesterMania
07-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies. Both methods work perfectly!

Paladin27
07-26-2006, 08:31 PM
I have several other programs that rely on the Favorites folder as well... so I just use a Firefox extension called PlanOldFavorites that adds the Favorites menu item to Firefox. Then I just sync using the normal methods.

http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

JesterMania
07-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey Paladin, I did stumble across that extension during my search and as I can't test it yet (using Firefox 2 Beta), what exactly does this extension do? All my Firefox bookmarks are placed in "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder", so can I still retain all my bookmarks at the location even though it appears to be reading off of the IE favourites folder?