View Full Version : Windows emulator for PPC

Bhups
07-24-2006, 05:07 PM
hi,

is there a emulator for PPC's to help run installation files of active sync to run on the PPC instead of the PC ?

while downloading files on my ppc, i'm always having to go to the pc and installing it from that and is VERY annoying and time consuming.

is there an alternative way? (i know about .cab files, could there be a way of extracting the cabfiles from the installation file?)

thanks in advance

Bhups

Menneisyys
07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
hi,

is there a emulator for PPC's to help run installation files of active sync to run on the PPC instead of the PC ?

while downloading files on my ppc, i'm always having to go to the pc and installing it from that and is VERY annoying and time consuming.

is there an alternative way? (i know about .cab files, could there be a way of extracting the cabfiles from the installation file?)

thanks in advance

Bhups

1. Welcome to PPCT :)

2. yours is a very frequently asked question. The answer is NO - you can't officially extract CAB installers from ActiveSync-based install EXE files. However, there is a way: rename the EXE file to a ZIP file and open it with, say, Resco File Explorer or Total Commander (on the Pocket PC). If you're lucky, you'll see one (or some) CAB file(s); if you're lcky enough, they'll be the CAB files you're looking for and not InstallShield CAB files, which are NOT compatible with Pocket PC's and can't be extracted on the Pocket PC).

mscdex
07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
You might also want to check out some websites that provide the CAB files for various PPC software. There also a number of PPC developers that do provide CAB file downloads on their official website as well as Activesync-based desktop installer downloads.