View Full Version : How do "ye olde" programs cope with the VGA screen?

Joelacrane
07-24-2006, 02:25 AM
I decided to re-ask this question out in the main forum, to get some more answers. I just bought an Axim x51v on the internet, and it should take about a week to arrive.

My current PPC has a QVGA screen. How well do most programs cope with the new high-rez screen?

Here is a list of the programs i use, or plan to use:

Hitchhiker
Pocket Player
vBar
Worms World Party (Hasnt been update in a long while)
PocketNester (Hasnt been updated in a- longer while)

I may also use a couple of other emulators, like a SNES or GBA emulator. Every other program i use is designed for Wm5, so i dont think i will have any other problems.

And i think ill tag one more question on here: Does WM5 include .Net compact 2.0? I hate .Net framework, its such a confusing mess!

Thank you all for answering my millions of questions. I have enjoyed the wealth of information that i have gained from you since i joined this forum.

Cybrid
07-24-2006, 02:56 AM
In all honesty, its hit or miss.....
Most programs should be fine but the odd one will be wierd.
Example ZioSoft (anything) doesn't work on my X50v(VGA/Intel/WM2003SE) but works on my UTS6700 (QVGA/?/WM5)

Sven Johannsen
07-24-2006, 03:15 AM
Most are just pixel doubled (or fourpled) and look essentially like what they did in QVGA, just sharper in some cases.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Most are just pixel doubled (or fourpled) and look essentially like what they did in QVGA, just sharper in some cases.

I beg to differ - in most cases pixel fourpled (nice word!) apps tend to look pixelated and fuzzy.

ChristopherTD
07-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Alas, it is very much a case of trial and error. Many companies have versions of their software that work well with VGA and allow you to configure the display to suit your eyesight!

Others can be forced using programs like Tweaks2K that force a VGA mode by creating a special file that tricks the system into making it VGA aware.

Others just don't recognise it at all and just operate in QVGA mode (stretched to fit).

Or you can operate the device in TrueVGA mode which is an assortment of hacks and tweaks that make everything operate in VGA mode. It isn't really for the faint hearted though, as it does take a bit of work to get everything behaving.

Cybrid
07-25-2006, 03:28 AM
(or fourpled) . Quadrupled?

Sven Johannsen
07-25-2006, 07:52 PM

I beg to differ - in most cases pixel fourpled (nice word!) apps tend to look pixelated and fuzzy.

Well in this case, since the screens are about the same physical size, the pixels are a quarter as big, so it really doesn't make it worse, IMHO. In some cases the edges of the block made of four pixels of the same color may even seem a little sharper than the one larger pixel did.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Well in this case, since the screens are about the same physical size, the pixels are a quarter as big, so it really doesn't make it worse, IMHO. In some cases the edges of the block made of four pixels of the same color may even seem a little sharper than the one larger pixel did.

From a technical point of view - no, it doesn't. The pixels are indeed sharper (the fuzziness comes in when you have cleartype activated) - but the net effect is still pretty awful, especially for rendered text like when using Netfront or Adobe Reader.

Joelacrane
07-30-2006, 02:27 AM
I've had some trouble with Activesync, but i have been able to run a few programs off my SD card... Hitchhiker crashes upon connect, but i havent updated the rom yet... It looks great though, along with Skpye, Worms World Party and PocketNester. They look slightly pixelated, but not any worse then they did on my old QVGA Pocket PC.

I am VERY happy with the device so far! I've found a solution to my Activesync problems, and soon ill be able to flash the rom and get everything installed. Thanks for the help!