View Full Version : Best TCPMP Encoding Settings for a VGA screen.

arteagac
07-19-2006, 12:33 AM
I can't seem to tell the difference (visually) when I set the video quality setting on TCPMP for my VGA (Dell Axim X50v). Does:

Anthing over 30 FPS make a difference?

What bps is ideal before it just becomes overboard and just increases the size of the file and doesn't make an impact visually?

I seem to prefer my smartphone QVGA screen (although smaller) over my VGA because it looks brighter and the picture is sharper. Am I crazy?

I am not expecting a AV 101 class but if anyone has any tips/preferences on VGA performance vs file size, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Nurhisham Hussein
07-19-2006, 01:26 AM
Anthing over 30 FPS make a difference?

No - for comparison's sake, most TV systems (PAL/SECAM/NTSC) only play between 24fps to 30 fps.

What bps is ideal before it just becomes overboard and just increases the size of the file and doesn't make an impact visually?

It depends - the Axim's GPU allows it quite a bit of leeway in terms of bitrate. Personally, I don't think there's much point getting above 1MBit.

I seem to prefer my smartphone QVGA screen (although smaller) over my VGA because it looks brighter and the picture is sharper. Am I crazy?

The picture is sharper because the dpi may be higher - the other reason is that if the media file you are playing is less than VGA resolution, then the Axim will have to stretch the pixels to fill the screen, which results in a little bluriness. As for brightness, TCPMP has brightness/contrast/colour controls - you might want to play around with those for a while.