View Full Version : Should i buy an iPaq rx1950/rx1955?

Joelacrane
07-18-2006, 02:49 AM
Ive been looking at rx1955's on ebay, they are selling for only $200 new! I would like to get one, but i have one burning question: Where is the speaker and mic located? I use my rx3115 for Skype calling, and the speaker and mic are in the right spots to hold the ppc upside down to use as a phone.

Also, ive heard that the sound isnt great. I use my ppc for mp3's all the time, do i need to be concerned about this?

Any tips and advice would be appriciated. Thanks!

marchristensen
07-19-2006, 04:43 PM
On the iPaq rx1955 the microphone is on the top of the unit - just to the left of the expansion card slot (your left, when the screen is facing you). I cannot see any speaker, but the sound seems to be loudest at the bottom of the unit where it plugs in to the cable for charging/syncing.

Sound is OK - not that loud coming directly from the speaker. I like the unit OK - screen looks good, wifi works well. I do have to do soft resets periodically - but that has been true for me with any PDA.

IT DOES NOT COME WITH BACKUP SOFTWARE, which you have to purchase separately. I am having problems syncing with Avantgo. Other than that it is working well.

Joelacrane
07-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Have you had any memory problems with yours? Ive heard good things about the unit except for the fact that it only has 32mb of RAM. Has it ever bothered you?

Darius Wey
07-20-2006, 03:02 AM
...except for the fact that it only has 32mb of RAM. Has it ever bothered you?

For most end-users, this is a huge limitation. The 32MB RAM/64MB ROM impacts (a) the amount you can store, (b) what applications you can execute (hugely memory intensive applications will yield problems), and (c) how many applications you can have running at the one time. Also, depending on what you do with your Pocket PC, the lack of integrated Bluetooth can be seen as another limitation.

haesslich
07-20-2006, 04:13 AM
As a former user, I'd say 'no, this isn't worth your time' - the sound's good if you're using the headphone jack... but it's nothing special when using the speaker. The RAM is the biggest bottleneck on this thing - without all that much space (it has about as much free RAM as say, a Treo 700w, which is considered grossly underequipped, RAM-wise), you end up either running one or two programs at a time ONLY.. or you don't run things like Adobe Acrobat Reader, which takes up enough space by itself to choke out almost all the remaining RAM (12-15MB is available after soft reset) to keep you from loading anything else.

marchristensen
07-20-2006, 03:00 PM
For my part, I would say rx1955 is OK - not great and not horrible. Memory, with an SD card, is fine for me. While it does not replace a laptop, it is good for quick e-mails. The sync with Outlook is the most useful feature for me. I have a bunch of games loaded that I like. I do need to do soft resets periodically. I don't care if I cannot run many apps at the same time. Because of the popularity of pda phones, there are not many pure pda's to chose from. I am pretty happy with my choice.

Joelacrane
07-21-2006, 04:22 AM
I went to staples and looked at it today, i absolutely LOVE the size and form of it. I opened up Memory, and it only had 2mb free with no programs running! Yikes!

If it had 64mb of ram, it would be a winner, but it looks like i am going to have to move on and find something different.

Heres what im looking for:

Something with Windows Mobile 5.0
Ability to use Skype (Speaker and mic position)
Wifi
300mhz proc (400mhz would be better)
Small enough to fit in a jeans pocket

Here are some things that i do not require, but would still like to have:
Bluetooth
USB Host support
VGA Screen (QVGA is just fine too!)

Ive looked at the Acer n311, but i cannot find a decent deal on it, and it only seems to sell in the UK. The high end iPAQ's are no good, the speaker and mic are in the wrong spot. Oh well. Dell Axim... ugly. But i have not researched them very much, nor have i seen one in person. Any suggestions would be VERY helpful.

Oh. Last thing. I'm 17 with a minimum wage job, car payments, and college to save for. It has to be inexpensive. I know everyone says that though...

Darius Wey
07-21-2006, 04:35 AM
Oh well. Dell Axim... ugly. But i have not researched them very much, nor have i seen one in person. Any suggestions would be VERY helpful.

Actually, the Axim looks ugly in pictures, but in the flesh, it's a lot better (in my opinion, anyway). The X51v meets all of your criteria above, except the one about USB Host support. You also mentioned that it has to be inexpensive. You'll find that Dell is usually the more affordable company, and they have sales on the Axim quite often (e.g., today, at Dell USA, the X51v can be had for $374, down from $499).

Joelacrane
07-21-2006, 05:31 AM
Noooope... I can do better than that!

For the Axim x51 524mhz....

Save at Eagle (Where i bought my rx3115 for $230) - $308.95
http://www.saveateagle.com/221-9720-v33.html?ovchn=OTHER&ovcpn=Froogle&ovcrn=221-9720-V33&ovtac=CMP

BigCity Direct - $299.00
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Bigcitydirect/items/item.aspx?itemid=372460

Froogle is the bomb!

Ok, so youve held one. How does it compare to my RX3115 and the RX1955 in size, comfort, and "toughness"? And it looks awful tall in the pictures. Is it? I have been looking for some comparison pictures but i have not found any. Also, does it include some sort of slip cover or case?

Also, i have to confirm, are the mic and the speaker in the right spots? I am likeing that fast processor... It would be great for Skype. No more slurred speech or dropped calls.

Darius Wey
07-21-2006, 06:02 AM
Noooope... I can do better than that!

For the Axim x51 524mhz....<snip>

Actually, I do recommend the Axim X51v 624MHz over the Axim X51 524MHz if you can afford it. The X51v's faster processor, additional ROM, VGA screen, and Intel 2700g GPU are indispensable features.

Ok, so youve held one.

I've got one - well, the X50v, which is the same as the X51v, except the latter has more ROM.

How does it compare to my RX3115 and the RX1955 in size, comfort, and "toughness"?

Size-wise, the X51v is comparable to the rx3115, but it's larger than the rx1955 (but just about every Pocket PC is). It feels comfortable in the hand. And unless you're holding a rugged Pocket PC, none could be classed as "tough". It doesn't have that cheap feel, though, if that's what you were asking.

And it looks awful tall in the pictures. Is it?

Not particularly. It's only a few millimetres taller than the rx1955.

Here's a picture of the X50v (remember, same size as the X51v) and the h1940 (slightly smaller than the rx1955):

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/wey-etenm600-04.jpg
X50v (first from left). h1940 (second from left).

Bottom line, the X51v is still pocket-sized.

Also, does it include some sort of slip cover or case?

It includes a nylon slip case.

Also, i have to confirm, are the mic and the speaker in the right spots? I am likeing that fast processor... It would be great for Skype. No more slurred speech or dropped calls.

The microphone is located in the top left corner. The speaker is located at the bottom, under the D-pad. Also, don't forget you can always use a Bluetooth headset for voice communications.

marchristensen
07-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Not to beat a dead horse - but the 2MG of RAM on the PDA at Staples is not a good indicator. Who knows what people were doing to it prior to your arrival. To get a good indication of available RAM, you have to do a soft reset - stick the stylus in the hole in the right side of the back. From a fresh reset, I usually have about 12MG available. Not sure if that makes a difference to you. What are you doing on the PDA that you need so much memory?

Joelacrane
07-22-2006, 02:19 AM
Playing Half-life 2 of course! Are you still playing Pac Man? Lol jk!

Actually, its nice to be able to have all my programs open, Hitchhiker, IE, Skype, MSN Messenger, Pocket Player... A list of programs like that would probably fill it all the way up.

So the 524mhz ppc does not have a VGA screen. Hmm. Im not sure how much i want a VGA screen, ill have to look for some more prices before i decide. The main reason why i am looking at an Axim now is because of that processor, i need something quick for skype. And emulators. And videos. Idk, 524mhz just seems plenty fast for what i am going to use it for. I sure wish i could find a good, in depth review, i still havent really found a good one yet.

Y'all have been so helpful. I appriciate it.

Darius Wey
07-22-2006, 04:15 AM
And emulators. And videos.

If you're aiming to watch videos, then you owe it to yourself to go for a VGA screen. The increase in clarity is profound. Also, the X51v's Intel 2700g GPU will handle most of the processing when it comes to video playback, rendering of graphics in games, etc.

The difference in processor speeds is insignificant in this case. The other features offer far more benefits, in my opinion.

Joelacrane
07-22-2006, 05:15 AM
I'm afraid that $300 is already pushing my budget... to the limit. If i could find one for under $340 i think i could get it.

The extra memory, screen and graphics card would be nice, but i dont think i truly need it. I just think that $375 is a lot to spend on a device that could be dropped and broken.

By the way, how much storage space is avalible on the Axim x51 524mhz? They say 128mb, but how much does the OS take up? 40mb?

Darius Wey
07-22-2006, 06:19 AM
By the way, how much storage space is avalible on the Axim x51 524mhz? They say 128mb, but how much does the OS take up? 40mb?

40MB is about right, leaving you around 90MB (rounded figure).

Joelacrane
07-22-2006, 08:24 PM
I found an Axim X51v for $345 on saveateagle.com. $35 dollars is worth it. Free shipping too!

Darius, youve talked me into it. Ill order it as soon as i get home from work.

EDIT **** Fixed a typo. Indeed, Darius, i did order an Axim x51v. ****

Darius Wey
07-23-2006, 03:43 AM
I found an Axim X50v for $345 on saveateagle.com. $35 dollars is worth it. Free shipping too!

I hope you mean the X51v and not the X50v (and a visit to the site has led me to assume so). ;)

Darius, youve talked me into it. Ill order it as soon as i get home from work.

Great, hope it works well for you. The first thing you'll want to do when you get it is download the latest A12 ROM (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=PDA_AXIM_X51&os=PPM&osl=en&deviceid=7643&libid=7) and install it (if it isn't already installed; you can check by tapping Start > Settings > System > System Information). It fixes a bundle of bugs and adds a few new features.

mv
08-22-2006, 01:03 AM
I just bought myself an 1950... much nicer than my old 3115. It reminds me my goodŽol 1940. The axim was way too big for me. 8)

Darius Wey
08-22-2006, 03:48 AM
I just bought myself an 1950... much nicer than my old 3115. It reminds me my goodŽol 1940. The axim was way too big for me. 8)

Hopefully, the 32MB RAM isn't too limiting for you.

By the way, if your device isn't running the latest ROM, you should update it by downloading it from here (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/1129_6249.html). It corrects many old issues.

philb2k
08-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Still using my trusty 1945 and loving it!

Phil.

:D