View Full Version : Question about security settings of the new Pocket PC Phones

The PocketTV Team
07-17-2006, 05:25 AM
We have heard that several of the new Pocket PC Phones have been configured (e.g. by the mobile operator) so that they require third-party applications to be digitally signed (i.e. like on Smartphone).

Does anyone know precisely which of the new Pocket PC Phones have such security setting?

i.e. either:

- Display a security warning when a non-signed application is installed.

or

- Does not let you install applications that are not digitally signed with the Microsoft M2M certificate.

mobile v
08-25-2006, 01:51 AM
Yea I want to know this as well. This is my first pocket pc that I got (PPC-6700) and I'm pretty computer savvy but I feel like sucha newbie with these things even tho it's Windows.

Anyways, I've had about 6 hrs of sleep ever since I bought this 3 days ago cause I've been non sense researching about problems and features trying to learn all the stuff. I need to get some information on the security.

Please inform.

The PocketTV Team
08-25-2006, 03:01 AM
actually all this is quite well explained on this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnppcgen/html/wmsecurity.asp

all Pocket PC with Windows Mobile 5 are configured in "One-Tier-Prompt".

Smartphones are generally configured in "Two-Tier-Prompt" except those from Verizon (e.g. Motorola Q etc) which are "One-Tier-Prompt".