View Full Version : H2210 + my BT Phone = MDA?

Perk
07-16-2006, 02:00 AM
I hope this helps people who are considering the same transition that I just went through.

I got an MDA through T-Mobile two weeks ago to replace my aging iPAQ & my Bluetooth Phone. The idea was to only have to carry around 1 brick instead of two. Sounds like a plan, here's where I'm at.

The advantages:
Single device solution
Built-in Wi-Fi, world wide cell
Brighter screen
Better color
Slide out keyboard is really awesome compared to stylus entry of any kind. This is especially useful when talking on the BT headset and filling out word docs or appointments.
Compatible with almost all of my old software
Battery life is actually pretty good considering everything it does
Your Outlook contacts database is your phone database. This simple fact really means a lot when using it every day in business
Louder speakers than my old cell speakerphone and my iPAQ combined
Less Bluetooth interference than my previous BT1.2 cell phone.
Having so many ways to connect to the world (Wi-Fi, GPRS, Bluetooth and cell) is more valuable than I expected.
No juggling and Bluetoothing data between devices
T-Mobile has significantly improvied their signal in Colorado and reception is very good most places I go.

The disadvantages:
Cellular voice quality is not very clear. This is even the case through my Jabra JX10 which I use to think had incredible clarity.
The processor is way slower than my old PDA and can leave me waiting when needing to extract business info ASAP, trying to hang the phone up and such.
Wi-Fi seems to stop working until I cycle it off and on.
It searches all available Wi-Fi signals instead of trying the preferred network first.
Smaller screen
This device current ROM version is not so solid. I'm use to using a PDA that I don't have to reset every day or two. I'm hoping this will be completely fixed through software upgrades
Don't buy it for gaming
Wi-fi reception is not as strong as a CF card

This thing is a keeper but I'll be keeping my eye on what's coming out in a year or so. I know there's more coming in the near future but I'm not big on first generation devices as they typically have more bugs than a trash can. 8)

Anyways, I hope this helps people who are considering this very same move and if you're an MDA or 8125 owner with some thoughts, shortcuts or any info to offer, please reply.

Thanks,
Mike

Sven Johannsen
07-16-2006, 04:29 AM
Got a K-Jam, and happen to have my 2215 sitting here as well. Wanted to comment that a lot of the pluses there are just because there have been a few years between the 2200 series and today's PPCs. I think you could do well to get a hot PPC (if you can find one) and a good cell phone. The PPC PE still have a lot of tradeoffs, to come up with that wonderfully convenient single package. I think of it kind of like the difference betwen buying stereo componenets or that all-in-one bookshelf stereo system. You are just going to get better individual pieces buying them from people that do that one thing well.

For a good while I carried a T610 and an X50v. Great combo, had the screen, the speed, good data capability at the time when tethered, but it was always a decision whether to take the Dell or not. Never a decision about the phone. If I or my wife broke down and we needed to talk, just the Dell was not much good. Actually don't use the phhone that much, but that is the piece that delivers piece of mind.

My wife actually uses an X50v and a RAZR. She has tried the K-Jam for a week, but finds it too big. What you say? It's smaller than her two things combined. Yes but when she walks down the hall to fix a problem (PC tech, system admin) she can slip the RAZR in her pocket and leave the Dell on her desk.

There are still individual needs and a place for the options. My guuess is there will be for some time. I don't see a PPCPE crammed into a RAZR form factor any time soon. (no the STRTRK isn't it, needs a touch screen)

cjfox
07-23-2006, 09:00 PM
I bought a Motorola Q to replace my 2215 and outdated cell phone. Unfortunately I had no idea of how limited the Smartphone software is compared to the PocketPC even though they're both based off Mobile 5.0
The smartphones are great for someone who just wants something more than just a cellphone however any who has a pocketpc will be greatly disappointed. If I could just throw the phone function into my 2215 it would make the perfect convergence device.
Anyone know how to link the 2215 and Q together by bluetooth to get internet access on it?

Brad Adrian
07-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Anyone know how to link the 2215 and Q together by bluetooth to get internet access on it?
I searched the Verizon site for assistance, and for things beyond Bluetooth headsets, they suggest you contact their technical assistance folks (They didn't have any Over The Air setup options.).

I don't use Verizon Wireless, but I'd call them because there will be some specific server names and passwords you'll need to use.

Good luck!

Kadegboye
07-24-2006, 01:38 AM
I beg to disagree with people who think that PPCP can be viewed as a bookshelf stereo set compared with component stereo set. Originally, I was using a PPC and a cellular phone but since I changed to my XDA II PPCP three years ago, I have not been happier with the performance of any device than this. In terms of data and voice function, it has been very good. Carrying two devices everywhere you go is not an easy task irrespective of their sizes. The only downside to my XDA II is its battery life and I am gunning for the upcoming HTC TyTN which I am hoping will provide a slightly longer battery life.
Kay

Perk
07-31-2006, 10:09 PM
There's some really off topic stuff in the above replies. My original post was for informational reference for those looking specifically to upgrade from a PPC to an MDA:

The Q is not an H2210 or an MDA. Its screen is not QVGA and it can not run most programs made for PPC.

You can use a PPC as an MP3 player. I do, but it's no replacement for my ipod, not even a little close!

Now that I've had my MDA for a while, I can say that it does do everything my iPAQ H2210 did and more. It does do it slower but there are lots of improvements over my old H2210. First, the side grips don't come off. Second, although the screen is smaller, it's clearer and brighter. Third, it seems to multi-task better. Fourth, the integration provides for additional functionality that I never expected.

To put my new MDA to the tests, I bought a 1GB card, TomTom Navigator 5 GPS software, a Bluetooth gps receiver and a vent mount. Then I loaded up all my favorite software programs I bought over the years for my old PDAs, grabbed my Bluetooth phone earpiece and my family and we drove from Denver Colorado to Cape Lookout on the Oregon coast. This to me was a real get to know ya adventure for my new PDA and gps.

In the long run, everything worked out. I was able to see us driving down a real time 3d map while receiving spoken and displayed directions from my MDA, at the same time I was able to answer the phone, make calls, read live internet pages, play games and more. All of this from what amounts to a single compact device with a couple of small accessories (BT headset and GPS). Oh, did I mention that T-Mobile gave me an almost perfect signal about 98% of the entire trip. Wow, makes me glad I switched.

I do miss some the added processing power of my old 400 MHz PPC, but would never go back after experiencing all the enhancements this little gem has to offer. I will miss my old friend but not for long.

TomTom Navigator would benefit tremendously from better Outlook Contacts integration. This is a feature I'd been use to with ALK's Co-Pilot series. However, ALK's maps are way behind TomToms and that easily makes up for the extra data entry.

This posting was entered with my MDA, far from home. :wink:

Again, I hope this helps people who are trying to make a decision about replacing their old Pocket PC and phone with a Pocket PC Phone Edition MDA.

George H.
08-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Perk--

Did you consider waiting for the iPAQ 6900 Mobile Messenger? I'm having trouble deciding between it and the MDA. The iPAQ's processor is significantly faster and the device is thinner, but the screen is smaller and the H and W dimensions are larger.

--George

Perk
08-02-2006, 05:23 AM
I looked at it since I've owned and come to trust HP over the years. The problem for me was that the screen is not 320x240 and it would not support most of the software I own and many of the software titles I'm interested in owning. A friend of mine got the old HP version a few months back from Cingular and is having that very problem. His version also does not have built-in wifi. On another note, My broter-in-law is an HP field tech and tells me that a lot of HP PDAs over the years were made by HTC. You can visit www.htcamerica.net to learn about them.

PS: If you visit www.Handango.com, you can look up the device you are interested in and see what software will run on it. Mine does not have an ARM processor in it but runs all my ARM software

Good luck in your decision!

sweb3028
08-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Perk
Just wanted to say thanks for the post. I, in fact, have been making the very same decision as you. I have an H2210 and Nokia 6620 myself. I have been trying to decide for months on whether or not to replace it with the Cingular 8125. I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but will dive in head first when i get back from the desert. My H2210 has been a very trusty friend over the years. So, the 8125 has alot to live up to. (BTW - I no longer have those daggone side grips. Won't miss those at all). I have similar plans for the 8125. Although, I thought of maybe using the H2210 with the GPS just so she would get some use. (I guess that would defeat the purpose of getting the 8125 though :) ) I spent as many hours as I could researching the 8125. Your post was very helpful for me in making the decision.

- Steve

Perk
08-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Cool,

Hope you keep in touch.

Mike