View Full Version : Ruggedized, barcode scanner and WPA support

rookcnu
07-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Okay folks - I need the help of this forum.

I need a fleet (when I say fleet - I mean about four) of ruggedized pockets pc's that preferrably run Windows Mobile 5. They also need integrated wireless (802.11g if possible) that supports WPA encryption and has a built in barcode scanner. If it does not have the barcode scanner built in, I can live with it and buy an SD barcode scanner to add on. So,... it would then need an SD slot.

I don't really need it to do much else.

Oh,... and I really want each unit to be under $1,000 (USD) if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Darius Wey
07-16-2006, 04:32 AM
The Symbol MC70 (http://www.symbol.com/MC70/) probably matches your requirements.

rookcnu
07-18-2006, 03:54 AM
It does seem to meet what I need. One thing I can't seem to find in the specs is what barcode fonts it will read. I do not know much about barcode fonts other than there are hundreds. Maybe it reads all kinds. We actually produce the barcodes in house, so I could make it pretty much any barcode that the scanner would read.

Also,... do you know of any reviews on the Symbol MC70?

How about the Motorola HC700-G? It does not run Windows Mobile 5, but it seems to have all the other features I need.

Darius Wey
07-18-2006, 09:58 AM
It does seem to meet what I need. One thing I can't seem to find in the specs is what barcode fonts it will read. I do not know much about barcode fonts other than there are hundreds. Maybe it reads all kinds. We actually produce the barcodes in house, so I could make it pretty much any barcode that the scanner would read.

The MC70 reads 1D (linear) and 2D barcodes. There are a whole series of these barcodes. The MC70 should read these without a problem, regardless of presentation.

Also,... do you know of any reviews on the Symbol MC70?

There aren't that many, and the ones that exist aren't all that detailed. See what you make of this: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/88786/symbol-mc70.html

How about the Motorola HC700-G? It does not run Windows Mobile 5, but it seems to have all the other features I need.

If I recall correctly, Motorola is shipping a Windows Mobile 5.0 version in the near future. I'd definitely opt for Windows Mobile 5.0 over Windows Mobile 2003/2003SE. The former features persistent storage, which is indispensable in critical scenarios involving power loss. Even with the battery dead, you don't lose your data.

The HC700-G is also a lot larger, so if size is important to you, the MC70 may be a better fit.

rookcnu
07-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Okay - I finally found a price on the MC70 and it is not under $1,000 (USD). It is a hefty $1,700 plus (USD).

This is alot more than I wanted to pay.

Darius Wey
07-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Okay - I finally found a price on the MC70 and it is not under $1,000 (USD). It is a hefty $1,700 plus (USD).

Yikes. Do you really need rugged PDAs? The whole "rugged" nature of these PDAs is what gives them a higher price point.

If you can settle for a standard set of PDAs with third-party CF or SD-based barcode reader add-ons, your wallet will thank you. :)