View Full Version : BitTorrent + RSS = WinMobile Fusion

Jon Westfall
07-15-2006, 08:11 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.adisasta.com/wmFusion.html' target='_blank'>http://www.adisasta.com/wmFusion.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"WinMobile Fusion combines and makes mobile the two network technologies that have the biggest impact on the Internet: RSS and BitTorrent. With WinMobile Fusion, the way we receive and consume information will never be the same again. By fusing RSS and BitTorrent in a mobile application, WinMobile Fusion will completely alter the information delivery process and effectively take advantage of every bit and byte of the wireless bandwidth that you are connected to. Now there is no need for anyone to hesitate if there is a way to publish multimedia enormous files online without draining their financial resources on bandwidth fees or driving their consumers mad with grueling delays. The freedom of information will be unstoppable and it will benefit everyone mobile."</i><br /><br />An interesting app that combines an RSS reader and a BitTorrent client for Windows Mobile. A trial is available, so if you're dying to download some torrents and read some news on your Pocket PC, perhaps it's worth a look!

Kevin Daly
07-15-2006, 11:13 PM
From the tone of that blurb it will also cure all known diseases and make me irresistible to women.
I'm not hugely comfortable with BitTorrent even on the PC, but on a cellular connection I think it's a great way of spending more money than you think you are.
If you're paying for traffic (so this also applies to wireless in many cases), you will pay for it whether it arrives in one huge chunk or lots of little ones.

rookcnu
07-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Can someone explain to me what BitTorrent is?

I have come across it on occasion when downloading things on my PC, but really have no idea what it is. So for the ignorant people (like me) can someone explain it in dummy terms?

Thanks!

ADBrown
07-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Can someone explain to me what BitTorrent is?

I have come across it on occasion when downloading things on my PC, but really have no idea what it is. So for the ignorant people (like me) can someone explain it in dummy terms?

The short explanation is that it's a method for transferring large files where you download from bunch of other people, but also upload it to somebody else, all simultaneously--kind of like P2P on steroids. It's supposed to be popular for very large files like video.

rob_ocelot
07-16-2006, 02:47 AM
I just want to point out that the Bittorrent only version of this program has a horrible memory leak in WM2003 and SE (and most likely WM5 as well) that causes your available memory to shrink until it crashes your PPC. Restarting and resuming torrents after soft resetting corrupts the final downloaded file.

They have the gall to charge $20 for this buggy software, when almost every other torrent program I've seen is either free or open source. This software has gone through numerous revisions and none of them have addressed a fundamental problem that renders the software useless.

They've now spun off the same piece of software in another form, acting like they are geniuses for combining Bittorrent and RSS (Welcome to 2003, Adisasta)

Is it any wonder their company name phonetically sounds like "A Disaster"?

Enough of my ranting, I don't want to give these jokers any more publicity.

krisdb
07-16-2006, 03:54 AM
I agress with rob_ocelot, this program stinks. I installed it twice and each time it screwed up my PPC and my SD card. I'd use it if it was a better program, though I probably wouldn't pay for it.

x51vuser
07-16-2006, 09:57 AM
AFAIK every BitTorrent program screws memory media.
Did it damage your SD card ?
SD cards have a limited number of read/write operations.

RSS sucks as well, I want NNTP :-)

PDANEWBIE
07-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Most BitTorrent programs I have seen force your client to also become a peer sharing what your downloading. Is this different in the mobile side? I wouln't mind sharing out on my Cablemodem but on a slower/charged per use line I probably wouldn't think about using anything that forced my hardware to also share out.

Anyone want to enlighten me on this aspect?