View Full Version : Recommend me a phone/PDA

tom dunne
07-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I am looking for something to replace my trusty Sony Ericsson P800. Based on my requirements below, what makes/models would you recommend?

Must have:

tri-band phone
wifi
bluetooth
400Mhz+ processor
Normal SDIO slot (not mini/micro, I have loads of SD cards!)
Windows Mobile 5

Nice to have, but not essential:

camera
3G
FM radio

Don't want one with a qwerty keyboard, but I won't complain if it has one.

I have been looking at the I-mate JasJar (a bit too big) and also considering the O2 XDA atom. Any more suggestions?

Darius Wey
07-13-2006, 06:01 AM
...also considering the O2 XDA atom. Any more suggestions?

Problem with the Xda Atom is that it has a miniSD slot, not an SD slot.

One device that does match all of your criteria is the E-TEN M600+: Samsung 400MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, 256MB ROM, quad-band GSM/GPRS, 802.11b Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, SDIO/SD/MMC slot, 2.0-megapixel camera, and Windows Mobile 5.0. It is one of the fastest (if not, the fastest) Windows Mobile 5.0-based Pocket PC Phone Edition device to date.

tom dunne
07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Problem with the Xda Atom is that it has a miniSD slot, not an SD slot.

Yeah, it was the one thing I was willing to compromise on, just to get all the other features.

Thanks for that recommendation, I hadn't come across the 600+ before and it looks like it has everything I want.

Looking at a few end-user opinions on the net, it is certainly getting good reviews. Not too many "professional" reviews around though.

Darius Wey
07-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Looking at a few end-user opinions on the net, it is certainly getting good reviews. Not too many "professional" reviews around though.

I wrote a review on its predecessor, the M600, back in November: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,44578

I apologise - it is a bit long, but if you like detailed reviews, do give it a read. The device itself is not all that different to the M600+: 128MB ROM vs. 256MB ROM, 1.3-megapixel camera vs. 2.0-megapixel camera, and Bluetooth 1.2 vs. Bluetooth 2.0.

tom dunne
07-13-2006, 12:19 PM
After reading that, you have me convinced.

I might even put up a review myself when I have put it through it's paces.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Darius Wey
07-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks, much appreciated.

You're welcome! I also have an M600+ being sent to me as we speak, so I should have a review written in the near future.