View Full Version : Ultimate Theft Alert v2.1 Aids In Recovering Stolen PPC Phone

Ed Hansberry
07-11-2006, 12:00 PM
<a href="http://www.cartystudios.com">http://www.cartystudios.com</a><br /><br /><i>"Ultimate Theft Alert v2.1 is an innovative stealth software that sends the thief's contact number to a pre-defined mobile phone number when your device is stolen. The software works quietly hidden in the device by automatically checking the Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card every time the device is cold-booted, soft-reset or after a SIM change. So when an unmatched SIM to the Owner's is recognized, it sends an SMS using the thief's SIM card to your pre-defined number (Maybe to your Dad'/Partner' number). So its like getting the thief' mobile number itself!"</i><br /><br />It runs only on Windows Mobile for Pocket PC PHone Edition, which makes sense since it uses the SIM to recognize when it has been stolen and to send an SMS message. You can buy it for $12.99.

Jon Westfall
07-11-2006, 01:16 PM
It's worth noting that this kind of feature has been on certain custom ROMs from XDA-Developers for years, and is free, so if you're not concerned about voiding your warrenty by flashing an unofficial ROM update (or about the flashing going wrong and ending up with a brick), those may be worth checking out.

Jon.

ecard
07-11-2006, 02:15 PM
It's just a software, so a hard reset will erase it....

inteller
07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
man, why don't phone makers include this on all WM devices in ROM? Only a very savvy thief would be able to get rid of it then! I could see someone like HP including this in their future devices, their biometric reader went a long ways to defeating thievery, this could only help!

On a side note, at least now with AKU2 corporations can wipe devices by sending a message out to the phone, but that doesn't get your device back. If you have the phone number you can track the person down and get the cops invloved.

Brad Adrian
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
It's just a software, so a hard reset will erase it....
Not with WM5. However, a well-informed thief might know enough to get rid of this app. OTOH, there are ways to "hide" the fact that it's been installed.

I've seen similar software for notebook PCs, too. Does anybody know of specific examples of this working or how something like this proceeds from a legal standpoint? If I receive the phone number of a thief, do I just call the police with the information, or does it get more complicated than that?

It woud be nice to build the "kill" feature into this application, too, so I could opt to hard reset the device via phone right away to keep any data safe while trying to recover it.

Carty
07-13-2006, 04:20 AM
Hello,

We are a bit late here.. :) The software has a Hard-reset plug-in to erase your data! And the software can be included in the Ext.ROM to cover hard-resets! And the software will not show up in the installed programs to prevent the thief knowing about it!

We did consult some psychiatrists regarding thief's and they suggested, theif on stealing a device will get his mood high and focus on getting away from your eye rather than checking softwares to track. Since most thieves targeting mobile devices, are of low profile and wont know much about Hard-reseting the device! Only thing you need to worry is with WM2003 devices where persistent memory is not there and software gets erased after battery low as the thief might not use the device for a while. So Ext.ROM inclusion can be done. WM5 devices get more secure in this issue!

Regards
Carty..
www.CartyStudios.com

Carty
07-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Hello,

We have planned an exclusive discount of 20% on our software for Pocket PC Thoughts members.

Conditions:
You need to purchase our software via paypal from our website. Use the promotional code: PPCthts

Retail Price: $12.99 USD
Price after discount: $10.99 USD