View Full Version : I'm A Happy New GPS User!

Brad Adrian
07-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I finally took the plunge and got my first GPS receiver and mapping software, and am having a TON of fun learning to use them. I've got a long road trip into unfamiliar areas planned for later this summer, so I'm hoping to be proficient by then.

I realize that GPS tools aren't for everybody (as my wife has repeatedly pointed out), but this is doing a great job of feeding my "W?BIC!" habit! I probably DON'T need GPS to help me get to the grocery store I always use, but it's nice to know that I CAN use it if I want to.

Darius Wey
07-11-2006, 01:28 AM
Awesome news, Brad. I had a lot of fun when I got my first receiver as well (many moons ago). :)

Which one did you get?

Brad Adrian
07-23-2006, 04:53 PM
I ordered the GlogalSat BT338 from MobilePlanet and opted to use Mapopolis.

I'm pretty happy with Mapopolis, but it bugs me that "correcting" a route that doesn't follow the roads I'd like is so difficult.

Anybody have suggestions for making that easier? I know how to use the "route through" feature, but often that simply results in a "side trip" and not an actual rerouting.

JesterMania
07-26-2006, 03:45 PM
I recently bought a BT-338 myself and that BT GPS receiver is awesome! I use TomTom instead of Mapopolis though, but can't you just keep driving on the roads you like and have Mapopolis do instant rerouting for you? I know that with TomTom, if it tells me to go on a road that I don't like I miss it on purpose and in 2-3 seconds it makes a new route again.

Brad Adrian
07-26-2006, 11:43 PM
...can't you just keep driving on the roads you like and have Mapopolis do instant rerouting for you?
Yes, but I wasn't being very clear. What I meant was something else.

Sometimes when a route is generated, it doesn't use exactly the route I'd like, especially for long trips. With Mapopolis, you can tweak the route by selecting the stretch of road you'd like to use and use the "route through" option. Unfortunately, that sometimes does nothing more than add a little side-trip to the original route, rather than re-do it through the new stretch of road. Mapopolis also doesn't let you build a route by selecting multiple way-points, which is one way that MapQuest, for example, helps you create a route that goes exactly where you want.

It's really not THAT big a deal, and I still think the other features of Mapopolis make it the best choice for me.