View Full Version : 8125 vs. axim 50v and cell phone

footdoc
07-05-2006, 06:46 PM
using dell axim 50v and basic cell phone. hate two units, love idea of one unit. basic PDA user (PIM, some tunes, no videos, WiFi, some basic medical software). anyone else made the switch or know good reason to or not to?

tut00
07-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Having an all in one unit is the best way to go in my opionion. Would never go back to two devices.

xdalaw
07-05-2006, 08:55 PM
using dell axim 50v and basic cell phone. hate two units, love idea of one unit. basic PDA user (PIM, some tunes, no videos, WiFi, some basic medical software). anyone else made the switch or know good reason to or not to?

I'm in the exact same position as you. (X50v and regular cell phone, and looking seriously at the 8125.) Here's what I'm thinking today:

It will be a sacrifice to lose the VGA screen and fast PPC, no matter what PPC Phone Edition device I choose. But, the benefit of convergence is worth it for me at this time--I think.

I've shopped the 8125 and the MDA at T-Mobile (both Wizards), and think they're very good devices. But, I think the HTC TyTn will be worth waiting for. It's rumored to be coming to Cingular in the Fall. Faster processor, jog-dial, 3G capable. It'll be the successor to the 8125.

In addition, I considered the Palm Treo 700W, but no wifi and too little memory are deal-breakers for me. The square screen would have taken some getting used to, but I think I would have loved the one-hand operation so much that I'd deal with that.

I also hear that Cingular will be getting a new Treo (or 2?) this Fall. I'll wait and see what specs it has so that I don't jump too quickly and regret it.

So, bottom line for me: I'm ready for a converged-device, but the first one I'll buy isn't yet available. In the meantime, I'll carry the two devices and try to hold off on my "buy now" urges. :mrgreen:

ADBrown
07-06-2006, 12:47 AM
I've played with the 8125, the MDA, and the Treo 700w. Currently, I use an Axim X51v and a Motorola v360 phone. I, personally, much prefer this setup to any of the converged options I've yet seen. I have a simple, rugged phone that has great battery life, and which I can abuse without too much worry, as well as a powerful handheld with a great screen and larger feature set.

footdoc, you may be a much better candidate for a single device than I, based on your described usage, but I did want to chime in that there are some solid reasons for staying put.

Yes, Cingular is believed to be getting one new Windows-based Treo later this year. The specs will be more or less like the Treo 700w for Verizon, but with quad-band GSM/EDGE/UMTS, and possibly WiFi. Still just rumor at this point, however.

David3800
07-14-2006, 05:31 PM
I debated this too, but decided that I prefer to have an all in one device and put my older PPCs to use as a third display at my home and work PC. The cell phone sold on eBay for almost what I paid for it (unlocked Nokia).

I have an Unlocked iPAQ HW6515 and although there are a few things I dont like on it (getting used to 240x240, semi-crappy keyboard around the N-key, SD-WiFi, small headphone jack) it does have a lot of cool features (GPS counts as a lot, keyboard, BT, SDIO and miniSD).

My friends before laughed when I'd pull out a cellphone, PDA, keys, wallet and other junk from my pockets. If only society will allow the Man Bag/Fanny Pack...

Although, my wife does have a purse and had a Tungsten E2 and a Motorola V551 (has Treo 700p now that is going to be replaced with XV6700) that she used together with Bluetooth. If she was using her PDA's contacts, she could use the PDA to start the phone dialing.

I think the bottom line here is if you want to have a European Carry-All, then go for the dual devices, if you dont want to lose your Man Card, then go for the all-in-one.

I just thought of this: If you are going to get a GSM device that utilizes a SIM card, then why don't you get your fancy all-in-one and when you need the simplicity of a smaller device or don't want to take your $500+ device on Splash Mountain, use the "cheap" phone.

sweb3028
07-18-2006, 01:40 AM
I am currently debating the exact same issue. I currently have an HP H2215 that has been an awesome PPC for many years. After my trip to the desert, it is starting to show some wear. I would like to replace it with an all-in-one, but it is a tough decision. I am willing to sacrifice a little, but not all. I have looked at many options. The size does not concern me too much, because I carry my PPC everywhere anyway. I was looking at the 2 models that I can get through Cingular for the discounts, but I am willing to look "outside the box" if I can get what I want. The 2 that Cingular is offering are the 8125 and the HW6515.
I like the looks of the 8125, but I have a couple of reservations:

PROS: Size, WM5, slide-out keyboard, WiFi CONS: Mini-SD, 200MHz Processor

I am inclined to go with HP because of past experience, but I have reservations there as well:

PROS: GPS, SD and Mini-SD slots, CONS: No WiFi, WM2003SE, 240X240 display
(Not to mention that I have seen very mixed reviews on the HP Phones)

I guess my biggest hang up is the 200 MHz processor on the 8125 (I can buy Mini-SD cards). Can anyone chime in with experience with that Processor?

If Cingular does offer the HTC TyTn, that would solve the Processor problem; but then they had to throw the micro-SD into the mix. I could probably live with that