View Full Version : reasons why PIE crashes?

ipaq_wannabe
07-04-2006, 02:54 PM
we all know that PIE sucks... however, there are times that it can be indispensible - for one, it takes a shorter time for it to come up compared to either NF or Opera...

but what i dont understand is what makes it crash, and freeze... to the point that even using the built-in Memory applet cannot "shut it" down, resulting in the freeze of the entire system...

is it because that this application is so much TIED to the OS that if it breaks, it brings the entire OS with it?

or is it really bad that it is worthless to hope that its handling of low-level stuffs would get better?

Guest979
07-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Hello,

What model/OS version are you using?

As much as I hate IE, and Microsoft in general, for desktop computers, I find PIE to be pretty amazing for a handheld browser on my iPaq 1940. Very few crashes, and it handles most web pages pretty well.

ipaq_wannabe
07-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Hello,

What model/OS version are you using?

As much as I hate IE, and Microsoft in general, for desktop computers, I find PIE to be pretty amazing for a handheld browser on my iPaq 1940. Very few crashes, and it handles most web pages pretty well.

WM5-based handheld, with PIE having its 2MB cache in the external card...

Janak Parekh
07-04-2006, 03:54 PM
WM5-based handheld, with PIE having its 2MB cache in the external card...
Have you tried moving the cache back to main memory?

In any case, the only time I find PIE to crash is if I'm rendering a complex page with little memory. PIE isn't that good for complex pages. In my case, the entire system freezes not because PIE is "integrated", but rather because it's using 100% of the CPU, making the machine extremely unresponsive. Other than that, I've had nary a crash.

--janak

isajoo
07-04-2006, 05:05 PM
On the topic of pie cache, why do we have to even cache at all...Everytime pie loads a page it gets it all fresh,no? Because I used tweaks2k2 to disable caching altogether and have notice a slight improvement in page loading speeds but most of all I DONT HAVE EVER WORRY ABOUT CLEANING THE CACHE AGAIN. I alway had freeze ups, even had to hard reset few times because pie filled up my whole flash memory with cache files. Try it put! Also if anyone has real facts about ppc cache and how it really works, let me know.

Brad Adrian
07-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Does changing the View options between Default, Desktop, etc. impact how often PIE crashes for you? That might make a difference on some complex pages.

ipaq_wannabe
07-05-2006, 02:46 AM
Janak and isajoo:

maybe ill just use Tweaks2K2, and just disable the cache altogether...

Brad:

with lots of sites here in japan made for the small cellphone screen, i dont use PIE for those complex pages (i use NF 3.3)... and as far as the settings are concerned, everything is set to default...

ipaq_wannabe
07-05-2006, 02:48 AM
Also if anyone has real facts about ppc cache and how it really works, let me know.

hhhmmm... good thing to research about - id be checking out menn-something (the expert with a difficult to spell name)'s site...