View Full Version : GPS on Cingular 8125

rookcnu
07-04-2006, 12:09 AM
How can I add GPS to my Cingular 8125?

I need dummy directions please? I don't have the first clue about GPS.

Also, I am assuming this will not be free,... unless someone tells me otherwise. Can someone give me an idea of what kind of money we are talking about here?

Thanks!

Nurhisham Hussein
07-04-2006, 01:02 AM
Actually GPS as a service is free - it's paid for and maintained by the US government.

As far as getting on your phone is concerned, you're probably looking at getting the necessary hardware (a bluetooth GPS reciever) and software. Most BT receivers will be compatible with your phone and you can get a good one for under US$100, but you'll have to be careful with the software - you need to find one that has maps for your area, or for where you want to travel. Software prices vary, from free upwards, depending on the particular business model the developers use. What's never free though are the maps, and these can cost a bomb.

Why don't you drop by GPSPassion (http://www.gpspassion.com/) for more info?

Sven Johannsen
07-04-2006, 08:00 PM
One thing to note on the MS BT stack and GPS units. After you pair the GPS and select serial port as a supported profile, you still have to define a virtual comm port. Un-intuitively you need to create an Outgoing port. Just pick a port number available (generally the lower the better as software is often limited). That port number you pick is the comm port you need to specify in any mapping program GPS setup.

For free you can use Virtual Earth Mobile. It just shows you where you are though, and doesn't put an icon there. It justs makes your location screen center. Works though. Need a data plan for this BTW.

Cybrid
07-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Need a data plan for this BTW. It'd prolly be cheaper to invest in a software than to use the data plan exclusively for any extended period of time.

Sven Johannsen
07-07-2006, 04:20 AM
Need a data plan for this BTW. It'd prolly be cheaper to invest in a software than to use the data plan exclusively for any extended period of time.
Yea, i wouldn't suggest getting a data plan to use for maps, but if you have a data plan for other reasons, and it's unlimited as many are in the states, having the free programs and links as favorites is worthwhile.

autopc
07-14-2006, 08:18 PM
InfoGation Odyssey software helps you in that regards.
give it a free try, it works well on Cingular 8125

www.infogation.com

Sven Johannsen
07-15-2006, 02:08 AM
They may want to update their system requirements then
"Pocket PC or Smartphone device running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition (must support landscape mode)"
Anyone seen this before? It says it's 3.0, but it's news to me.

I am curious about the 'try free'. I didn't try it but it indicates it requires you to set up an account before downloading and there is a Time Limited [7 days] $9.99 USD option. What do you get to try for free?

naviman
07-15-2006, 04:37 AM
They may want to update their system requirements then
"Pocket PC or Smartphone device running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition (must support landscape mode)"
Anyone seen this before? It says it's 3.0, but it's news to me.

I am curious about the 'try free'. I didn't try it but it indicates it requires you to set up an account before downloading and there is a Time Limited [7 days] $9.99 USD option. What do you get to try for free?

After you login in www.infogation.com you will a 3 day FREE trial.

It seems that they have previous products for automotive.

The user interface is very nice and interesting.

ClieTT
07-26-2006, 10:49 PM
FYI.

If you go to the link below, you can download the program without registration.

http://www.infogation.com/download/download.html

I have tried free demo on my old iPAQ. Overall, the UI is pretty easy to use and predctive text entry is a nice touch. The overall POI is excellent. This is the only program which I can find Fry's and Best Buy.

Unfortunately, there is no outlook integration or trip planning mode.