View Full Version : Loox software voucher problems

yardcat
07-01-2006, 03:33 AM
I recently downloaded 2 programs using 4 of 5 free voucher points that came with my new N560. After installion discovered, these were German versions. Now, this part may have been my fault, because I later noticed a very tiny British flag on the top of the PocketLoox-Choice.com website.

This is not the issue. There is a real English speaker bottleneck that occurs. I needed to fill-out a trouble 'ticket' to be able to ask them for new english downloads. Its really strange because some of the descriptions were in English, but most were in German. And the main form that EVERYONE must eventually fill-out is all in German.

I got around this by just putting x and 1 in most of the fields , but went back and forth with them with all their responses allways in German. Then finally someone must have guessed, because they put in an attachment that had the english version in it.

This language barrier still haunts me currently, because now I am trying to get support for this same software and its totally impossible!

My advice is download only simple software that you are unlikely to have any problems with through this voucher program. - yardcat

coolabah
07-21-2006, 05:39 AM
I recently downloaded 2 programs using 4 of 5 free voucher points that came with my new N560. After installion discovered, these were German versions. Now, this part may have been my fault, because I later noticed a very tiny British flag on the top of the PocketLoox-Choice.com website.

This is not the issue. There is a real English speaker bottleneck that occurs. I needed to fill-out a trouble 'ticket' to be able to ask them for new english downloads. Its really strange because some of the descriptions were in English, but most were in German. And the main form that EVERYONE must eventually fill-out is all in German.

I got around this by just putting x and 1 in most of the fields , but went back and forth with them with all their responses allways in German. Then finally someone must have guessed, because they put in an attachment that had the english version in it.

This language barrier still haunts me currently, because now I am trying to get support for this same software and its totally impossible!

My advice is download only simple software that you are unlikely to have any problems with through this voucher program. - yardcat

Wow sorry to hear about your problems, and of course it is great that you are trying to help others not suffer the same hassle ! I must confess though that this is not the same as my experience with the voucher system. But did you approach the actual software companies ? I had no trouble upgrading etc dealing directly with the website of the software authors of the stuff I got- would you mind letting us know which software you "bought" that is only supported by the author, in German ? I cannot read German (and for the following software don't need to) but own German software such as Planmaker, mindmap, textmaker etc which are all supported in English .

yardcat
07-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Spb Weather 1.5 was the involved software. There were/are definitely very severe limitations in filling out any kind of trouble ticket for English speakers with any issue they might want support on. A significant language bottleneck.

I did realize that I needed to go directly thru the Developer, but I sent 3 emails to Spb starting 3 weeks ago and did NOT hear anything from them, until today, because I happened to PM Denis Khitrov, who I discovered, by chance, frequents these forums. There was some delay with him, but he was on vacation, and did send me an informative and helpful email yesterday.

Incidently, Coolaba, in hindsight you provided the simplest way that would have solved the first problem (one issue only out of several) - Simply download a new trial and try to apply the old origional voucher's registration number - what's the expression Lol!

Spb Software House does put out some excellent stuff, but I have heard others talk about poor support, and I did mention this to Denis.

-yardcat

coolabah
07-21-2006, 09:02 AM
thanks for the reply, yardcat, I think that sort of info is good to know.

TimothyP
08-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Sorry I'm late, but i just got my N560 this week and i had the same problem. The apps downloading in different languages. All i did was go to pocketgear and download the English version, and entered the registration numbers that were provided when i cashed in my voucher. Worked with no problem.

yardcat
08-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Timothy, congrats on your new N560, Its a beauty, I love mine, and haven't had any serious issues yet. BTW make sure that you don't start E2C, the OEM Communications utility, many people have had nightmares with this software. See this forum and FirstLoox forum (smaller but with dedicated and friendly folks-just like here!). The device, itself will 'sniff' out WIFI signals and works ok for a number of folks. I haven't bought Hitchhiker, etc.

I'm hoping to see more US users discussing Loox devices here, in this slot, in the future. I'm particularly interested in Navagation software for the US, (however you may live in England or Europe)

TimothyP wrote:
All i did was go to pocketgear and download the English version, and entered the registration numbers that were provided

Yeah, I know about this workaround. After major translation barriers, I tried to email the developer, also a mistake if they aren't responding to emails. :(

Your idea of downloading from regular Retailer saved you alot of trouble. Others, still be forwarned that Support, could still be an issue though.

Good Luck, and welcome to the big screen world, no 2" screens here!

-yardcat

TimothyP
08-12-2006, 06:33 AM
BTW make sure that you don't start E2C, the OEM Communications utility, many people have had nightmares with this software. See this forum and FirstLoox forum (smaller but with dedicated and friendly folks-just like here!).

I am aware of the issues with E2C. I learned about them, in fact, from FirstLoox and 4winmobile. 4winmobile is actally the site that convinced me to buy this device. They had a great review of the device.

I'm hoping to see more US users discussing Loox devices here, in this slot, in the future. I'm particularly interested in Navagation software for the US, (however you may live in England or Europe)

I am in the US. But i have not tested the GPS features as of yet.

My Wifi works wonderful. What is Hitchiker? I will surely be frequenting this site more often.

Nurhisham Hussein
08-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Hitchhiker (http://www.kasuei.com/Hitchhiker/) is a wifi network sniffer. It's faster and more flexible than the built-in wifi tools, though it does require installation of .Net Compact Framework 2.0.

TimothyP
08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Hitchhiker (http://www.kasuei.com/Hitchhiker/) is a wifi network sniffer. It's faster and more flexible than the built-in wifi tools, though it does require installation of .Net Compact Framework 2.0.

Is it recommended that i install this on my device? Also, im trying to install Opera, its in a zip file, but im not sure what files i put on my device. can someone help?

yardcat
08-13-2006, 04:17 AM
You can install Net compact Framework on Storage, procedure is described in Menneisyys Blog (excellent blog):
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=757&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more757. Although, I've been dragging my feet on this one, just the release is a little new, and the Net CF installed on your N560, ver with SP (service pak 2), seems to be sufficient for most programs at this time (eg FeederReader)(experts here may very well differ with my caution though).

As far as Opera, I will be downloading soon, but haven't yet. When I looked at their download instructions they stated there were to types of downloads, some msi or mri (sp?) extension or a CAB file. Assuming thats the zipped file you downloaded, and it would have downloaded to a folder buried in your Temporary Iternet Files. you can try to find it, or just download again, but this time I believe (still a little new at all this), it will show an explorer window with several files listed. There should be a left pane in explorer that offers Extract Files. Hit that without selecting any particular file) and it will unzip. Note this is in Windows XP version. I'm laying this process out from memory so if you follow the gist of this it may help.

You can also just download the CAB file they offer. With this just sync up your PPC. Incidentally, get the updated AS 4.2 if you haven't yet. Now open explore > Tools > internet options > view > show hidden files and folders. Now you're able to see all, sorry, most files on your Mobile device. In explorer, navigate to either the Programs folder in main memory or create Programs folder in Storage card. Incidentally, make that you create a My Documents folder in the root (one of Primary folders just within) of your storage card. Programs folder doesn't need to be inside this, just 'along side' of it. I read somewhere that My Documents folder is kind of required to exist on any storage cards.

Now just drag the CAB file to within the chosen Programs folder within your device. Now, I can't remember, but It may actually install itself on the newer WM5 N560, then would indicate that I think? Or you just go into your PPC and explore to tap or hold? for installation. Some people may recomment Cabinstl, for CABs but this was true of older machines and now not necessary for all? WM5 devices. Maybe my explaination needs a little cleaning up, but, nowadays you can basically just drag and drop Cab files right onto your PPC.

OK, now everyone is free to clean-up my rough explaination of all this!

Go to Smartphone & Pocket PC site - Tips & Tricks, and to AximSite for really good knowledge bases that can guide you thru alot of things.

-yardcat

yardcat
08-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Edit:
I made a mistake. Please

Cabinstl, for CABs but this was true of older machines

Wow, what a stupid thing to say!
PPCs are like Motorcycles, and there are people here who know the absolutely best machines, and it ain't me.

-yardcat