View Full Version : TREO 700p AND TREO 700w Comparison

arb
06-25-2006, 03:45 AM
Love it or Hate it what is your take. Here is mine.

I got my Treo 700w back in March and I really like it when it works. For the most part, it worked 85% of the time. It would have memory leaks left and right and I could not add any new programs to it with out losing more valuable memory to run the said installed program. I also purchased the 700w on a note that in the summer, Verizon will enable teathering via USB.

Flash forward to June the 700p comes out and supports teathering out of the box... I called Verizon and was told that the 700w will not support this feature and most likely, never will. I was able to get Verizon to lower the price of the Treo 700p for me so I can use it to replace my 700w. It works but here are ny new issues.

- Not one-handed able.
- Defaults to Launcher Screen
- All buttons are arranged differently
- 320x320 really doesn't count since it is pixel doubling (160x160)
- Sound is very low and there isn't an adjustment for system sound, just phone sound.
- All apps on included CD is demos only and all software on CD are equivelent to 700w which is free and full version.
- GotoMYPC does not work in Blazer (their version of IE)

Is there any good on the 700p? No, not really, unless you are upgrading from a 650 or other palm device.

I am going to again go back to Verizon and return my 700p and reactivate the 700w.

Gosh this really sucks, Verizon just needs to enable the 700w to work as a USB modem, without 3rd party software.

okay, this is my rant, what do you guys have to say?

Guest979
06-25-2006, 04:10 PM
What evidence do you have that it is pixel doubling? I have never heard of any Palm OS device doing that.

Defaulting to the launcher is what all Palms do - "different" doesn't mean "wrong." Try ZLauncher if you want a customizable launcher page.

Blazer is weak, no argument there.

arb
06-26-2006, 01:06 AM
the palm treo 650, the ones that I have seen personally, default to the phone dailer program.

pixel doubling was palm's way to keep program compatibility with older programs. programs designed for higher resolution can take advantage of the higher res. although this is no different from what MS did for VGA enabled PPCs. Let me put it this way, if the menus and icons on the current 700p were not doubled, it would be very small and you would be able to see more icons on the screen.

ZLaunncher is not the same of what I am looking for.

although today I returned my 700p and reactivated my 700w. I wrote this reply on the 700w.

thank you

Janak Parekh
06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Love it or Hate it what is your take. Here is mine.
Thanks for your feedback. It is indeed annoying that Verizon is being so idiotic about tethering. In my case, I'm willing to trade the issues and stick with Windows Mobile, as push email and application compatibility are issues for me. That said, I do have a few PalmOS buddies for whom I've recommended the 700p as they already have an investment in their PalmOS setup and wouldn't like to switch. It's a good thing that there's choice -- although Verizon is doing their darndest to mess it up, as usual.

It's also worth pointing out that post-AKU2, the device does seem a bit more stable and less prone to memory leaks (... although it's still not perfect).

--janak

dorelse
08-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Ok...I'm shopping for a Treo...either a 700p or 700w, I haven't decided. I'm very familiar with both OS's, so I know the capabilities of both.

Sure the 160x160 'legacy' programs will be pixel doubled when run on a 320x320 screen. On my other Palm OS devices (TC, LifeDrive) they didn't have pixel doubling, and would display in high-res+ mode. (I thought, but I used a launcher, so I may be getting confused too.)

I owned a Treo 600 a couple years ago, and found the one-handedess almost completely true.

Again, I'm not trying to start the Palm vs PPC argument, I'm just surprised if the 700P has digressed rather than progressed since the 600 came out.

If it weren't for the low amount of memory on the 700w, I think I'd be there 100%...as its stands now, I'm still deciding.

yslee
08-01-2006, 05:08 PM
The PalmOS version is not suitable for one-handed use? I'm still using a Treo 600, and I'm loathe to change because of that. Is the Windows Mobile version of the Treo better than the Palm OS version in that aspect?

Another reason why I'm loathe to change: Threaded SMS chat!

Janak Parekh
08-01-2006, 10:10 PM
I owned a Treo 600 a couple years ago, and found the one-handedess almost completely true.
Based on my experience, the 700w and WM5 are somewhat better in terms of one-handing, particularly thanks to its use of cell phone-like soft menus at the bottom of the screen. I was never a 600/650 owner, so it's entirely possible one can be more efficient at it -- I haven't tried -- but I have found WM5's one-handedness more intuitive (for the most part, with a few glaring exceptions).

However, threaded SMS (or a higher-res display) is indeed not present in the 700w. For me, it's not a major problem. YMMV.

--janak

socalsrk
08-31-2006, 01:12 AM
I've had the Treo 650 before and I loved it!! unfortunately, I fried mine (don't ask) and I decided to try to upgrade to the 700W. I thought I'd give it a try, and see what features and capabilities it has... So far I'm not all that impressed, but I think it might be because I don't know enough.

I'm really in a bind though.. I need to make a decision to either return it for the Palm 700P or not very soon. Does anyone have or know of a complete feature by feature comparison of the two phones?

I admit, I LOVE the SMS threaded chat feature!! Is there such a feature on the 700W? Is there any 3rd party software that replicates this functionalty?

Any help would be awesome...

Thanks
Joe

Janak Parekh
09-03-2006, 04:30 AM
I'm really in a bind though.. I need to make a decision to either return it for the Palm 700P or not very soon. Does anyone have or know of a complete feature by feature comparison of the two phones?
I'm afraid that I don't know of a comprehensive one, although you can try Googling. The biggest problem is that it takes at least a few weeks before a new OS feels "natural", so you may find WM to be hard to use and won't be able to draw a conclusion otherwise before your trial is up.

I admit, I LOVE the SMS threaded chat feature!! Is there such a feature on the 700W? Is there any 3rd party software that replicates this functionalty?
Not that I know of. :? It'd be a cool thing to have, too.

--janak