View Full Version : ONE Way To Get Around Annoying Defaults

Brad Adrian
06-24-2006, 04:42 PM
One of the things I've always wanted to add to the apps on my Pocket PC is the ability to change more of the default settings, especially in Calendar. It seems that nearly every time I create an appointment, I make the same edits to the default template settings, like changing the Sensitivity, Reminder time, etc.

A lot of you may have already figured out what I just figured out, but just in case you haven't, I found that Calligrapher's PenCommander can be a great way to overcome some of the hassle of making the same edits in applications over and over again.

I have ALWAYS loved Calligrapher and have been using it for years. The recognition engine and features just keep getting better and better (although I have resented some of the upgrade fees over the years). That recognition accuracy and speed mean that I can create PenCommands that are very easy to execute which can make my changes for me.

PenCommands are macros and calls that you can build very easily and invoke just as easily. So, I've created some macros that use simple cursor navigation (using Tabs and Spaces) to speed up my appointment entries. For example, when I want to create an entry that reminds me zero minutes prior and has a sensitivity of "Private" (as I like to do with my personal reminders), I invoke my "Circle-P" PenCommand that tabs to the Reminder field, changes the time to "0 minute(s)," tabs to the Sensitivity field and changes it to "Private."

PenCommands can also be used to start applications and initiate actions and changes once they're running, like starting Word, opening a new file and setting the font to "Tahoma." The possibilities are really pretty broad.

These kinds of macros and shortcuts may be something you're already familiar with, but if you haven't tried Calligrapher and the tools it offers for making text entry fast and easy, I would highly recommend you give it a try.