View Full Version : the better backup software for WM5? Spb Backup, or Sprite?

ipaq_wannabe
06-23-2006, 04:09 AM
what should i install on my WM5 device (upgrading from an Axim x50v to Japan's WM Smartphone; the Sharp W-ZERO WS004SH) - Spb Backup, or Sprite Backup?

when i was using my x50v (a WM200SE device), Sprite was great! self-extracting backup files, scheduled backups, and reliable restores... however, ive heard that when it came to WM5; Sprite fell in many points... and since the only other thing out there is Spb Backup, well...

your thoughts? your choice?

thanks!!!

Darius Wey
06-23-2006, 05:03 AM
You may want to check out Menneisyys' comparison here: http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=545&more=1

Personally, I prefer Spb Backup, though YMMV.

socrates63
06-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Will any of these programs back up files on storage cards? I bought and installed Spb Backup today but I don't know how to back up my files on the cf card.

Menneisyys
06-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Will any of these programs back up files on storage cards? I bought and installed Spb Backup today but I don't know how to back up my files on the cf card.

You can use plain file copying to backup your storage cards. See for example http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=516&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 for a quick tutorial on this.

isajoo
06-24-2006, 02:29 PM
I am both confused and surprised that you would want sbp backup program to backup any cf or even sd card . The way I see it, sbp backup is good to backup all your notes,appointments and settings for wm. That way if your on the go and the unit acts up, you simple hard reset and run the last backup, returning to(hopefully) normal state. But know you asked how do I backup a cf or sd card... Just copy everything to a main pc. Because the only way to lose your data on these, is if it gets totally zapped and wiped clean or you yourself delete it, which would probably not help if you cant get a copy of the backup of the cf. Where would you store such a large file?

socrates63
06-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm aware that I could (and have) simply copy my data files on the storage cards to my PC or some other backup media. I was looking for an automated way to do the backup.

I should probably have explained my usage habits. I save all my data files to storage card to save RAM. I don't worry about losing PIM information since I can sync with my office PC to recover the info.

The reason I want to back up my data files on storage card is because not too long ago, all the files on my CF card inexplicably were gone. I think I read that it may be related to not having a My Documents folder on the storage card and WM creating a dummy folder there.

Maybe I need to rethink the way I use the PPC.

belfast-biker
06-25-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm going for SPB, purely coz it's 2/3 the price, and works well.

steveweb
06-25-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm going to SPB Bakcup after I had some problems with Sprite Backup and the unsigned applications on my Qtek S200.

Bye
Stefano

PS: I have noticed that SPB Backup in some cases give an error with /windows/lic/lsoma.db, but they are assicured me that it dont cause problems during the restore and that they fix the warning in the next release.

bye
Stefano

stsanford
06-26-2006, 01:41 AM
My Vote's for SPB. I have had spite for years, but even their new WM5 version has problems restoring mail. I switched to SPB and have had good success with it.

As far as backing up the SD card, I use MightySync, and suppose you could get it to sync the root of the SD card to a folder on your hard drive. Be prepared for a long sync though...

STS

Nurhisham Hussein
06-26-2006, 03:49 AM
I use Mobsync to backup my cards - not sure if it's WM5 compatible though.

steveweb
06-26-2006, 09:28 AM
As far as backing up the SD card, I use MightySync, and suppose you could get it to sync the root of the SD card to a folder on your hard drive. Be prepared for a long sync though...

STS

Do you know if it's WM5 compatible?

Tnx and rgds!

Stefano