View Full Version : Windows Mobile 5 installation

zakariya
06-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi gaye's,

I need to know how can i install windows mobile 5 in I-Mate JasJar Pocketpc, the idea is if my mobile windows crashed how to restor the windows once again. :)

Best regards,
Zak

Sven Johannsen
06-23-2006, 03:14 AM
First of, I'm not gay, not that that's a bad thing. ;)

You don't really install the OS on a PPC. It is contained in ROM, so it is kind of permanent. Installing programs and utilities though does supplement what is in ROM, and can make the device unstable. Short term issues can often be fixed with a soft reset. Poking the stylus in the hole at the back between the headphone and USB jacks. There are many programs that add a software soft reset too, and that works for many things, unless of course, if the unit is locked up, and nothing responds.

If things get so messed up you really want to go back to square one, out-of-the-box, that is a hard reset. Since the 'ROM' in the JasJar under WM5 is non-volitile, it is a bit harder than just taking out the battery like you used to be able to do prior to WM5. There are three ways.

There is actually a program on the Jasjar called Clear Storage. Does more than it sounds like and it warns you of that when you run it.

You can do a hardware hard reset by holding down the two soft key buttons at the same time and poking the soft reset hole. That also gives you an opt out, in case you accidentally held down two buttons on the front and poked the stylus in the reset hole ;)

The last way to restore a badly buggered OS is to do a ROM flash with an image from I-Mate. They have provided update images and these totally re-write the ROM. I honestly haven't tried this writing over with the same version that is on there. But it might be an option. I'd use the first two options first though.

zakariya
06-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Big thanks for you sweety and in arabic (ياحلو) :wink: , this is realy what i want to know

thanks once again :D