View Full Version : Swap SIM between Blackberry and PPCPE??

Canuck
06-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to take the SIM out of my Blackberry and put it in a PPCPE and be able to make calls and use the GPRS? I know the BB email won't work, but will the phone (and maybe data)?
I am given a Blackberry at work, but on weekends (when I don't care so much about work related email) I don't like having to carry 2 devices, the BB for the phone and the PPC for media, cash organizer, gps etc... I'd love to be able to swap the SIM and use one device on the weekend. I am using Rogers in Canada as service provider.

- Canuck
Toronto

JohnJohn
06-26-2006, 02:39 PM
I have a Cingular 8125 and an 8700c Blackberry and I swap Cingular SIM cards. I have been doing it for about 7 days now. Voice and Data seem to be working without issue.

There are few things I have found that make this process easier.

Make sure you fully power down the Blackberry before removing the battery and pulling the SIM. After you pull the SIM, don't put the battery back on the Blackberry. If you power back up the Blackberry I have found that you need to resend it the Service Books. I think the unit does something to the Service Books if it's powered up and has no SIM in it.

I enjoy having both devices. They both use the small USB connector to sync and charge. So I can take the same gear when I travel.