View Full Version : HP Ipaq H4355 and upgrading s/w

maggieboby
06-19-2006, 10:01 PM
I have the HP h4355. I like it and have really under-used it. So I'd like to start using as I meant to ("someday").

I currently have MS Pocket PC Ver. 4.20.0 (Build 14053) and ActiveSync Ver. 3.8.0 (Build 5004). The Internet Explorer is on there and I can't seem to find out which version it is.

I'd like to upgrade the OS if possible -- so I'd need to know if: A) it's possible to upgrade and B) WHAT can I upgrade it to? Obviously the newest possible is my goal.

I wouldn't mind using another browser if there's one out there as I've noticed on the websites I get on (like Yahoo), I can't do 'everything' (like when I go to the 'games' pages, I can get all the way to the game, but I can't play it (it doesn't load).

FYI, I was a Palm usier until I bought this last year, so my knowledge level is primitive (ashamed to admit!!) but I'm a quick study!!

Thanks in advance for the info!! :?

Nurhisham Hussein
06-20-2006, 12:38 AM
HP never released an OS upgrade for the 4355, so I'm afraid you're out of luck there. Browsers are another matter entirely though, there's plenty of alternatives to choose from depending on budget and need. I'd point to a link, but there's so much info out there. Use the search button at the menu bar for the forum and use the term "browser" as keyword, and "Menneisyys" as author. That'll probably give you about a week's worth of reading! If you want skip that try here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42017&highlight=browser), though there's been quite a few developments since that roundup was posted.

maggieboby
06-20-2006, 04:23 AM
ugh... :(
That's what I was afraid you were going to tell me... but somehow I thought the OS was upgradeable. Not like going from Win98 to ME or XP, huh?

Browers, like you say, are another thing.. but I guess I have some research to do since I am limited by the OS, I assume.

Thanks for the response though.. I appreciate it! :)

Nurhisham Hussein
06-20-2006, 08:16 AM
ugh... :(
That's what I was afraid you were going to tell me... but somehow I thought the OS was upgradeable. Not like going from Win98 to ME or XP, huh?

The OS is upgradeable...but only if the manufacturer puts in the resources and money to do so and if there's enough ROM space on a device to accomodate it. The problem is the different hardware platform requires a lot of customisation (think different button options, different radios, added features etc - in your case a built in thumboard), so you can't just use a generic OS image.