View Full Version : Compaq 3970 "Standby Time? " (Newbie)

tigerpilot
06-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Just obtained a Compaq 3970 to use mainly as a GPS device (iGuidance). Works great with my Belkin bluetooth receiver. However....I'm confused as to the meaning of 70 hours standby time.
With the unit turned OFF, does this mean that the 3970 will discharge in about 70 hours just sitting in my briefcase? Or..does it mean that when the unit is being used and nothing is happening, the ipaq will go into a standby mode and bo OK for about 70 hours? If the second is correct, how long should a fully charged regular battery go before I lose my stuff?
Thanks, Don

Janak Parekh
06-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Where did you get this statistic about 70 hours standby time?

In any case, all Pocket PCs pre-WM5 have a fairly substantial battery drain even when the unit is "off" -- it's not a real off, but rather a partial shutdown mode called standby. 70 hours sounds a bit too short, but the iPAQ will likely drain within a few weeks of being in standby... and possibly earlier.

--janak

tigerpilot
06-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Got this information from system - settings - power menu. Clicked on standby and get this 'graph' showng approx. 75 hours in standby with a full battery.
Thanks, Don

Janak Parekh
06-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Got this information from system - settings - power menu. Clicked on standby and get this 'graph' showng approx. 75 hours in standby with a full battery.
Ah!

The 3970 may have an adjustable standby battery life -- a few of the iPAQs did. It is indeed approximate, and I would expect it to go longer, but in general I would drop the iPAQ into its cradle each night to avoid draining it.

--janak

tigerpilot
06-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Janek:
I may have to return this unit to my daughter but I would like your opinion on...What used ipaq would you recommend for my GPS use.
Must have:
Bluetooth built in
Decent size screen daylight reading
Used of course.
I don't care if it has all the latest bells and whistles. I have been using my Axim X5 with a CF bluetooth card and it is a real pain to use. I keep getting insufficient driver memory for the CF bluetooth card.
Thanks again..Don

Janak Parekh
06-19-2006, 10:51 PM
I may have to return this unit to my daughter but I would like your opinion on...What used ipaq would you recommend for my GPS use.
Most any iPAQ (or Pocket PC), actually. For instance, the iPAQ 2215 is more compact than the 3970, but has integrated Bluetooth. I think there's an extended battery available for it, too. Do keep in mind discontinued devices are likely to have limited or no warranty, of course.

--janak