View Full Version : Suggestions For Entry-Level GPS Solution?

Brad Adrian
06-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Okay, all you GPS experts and gurus out there, I've decided to finally take the plunge myself and could use your advice. I know there have been tons of posts (how many posts are in a pound, anyway?) about GPS and Pocket PCs, but here are some of my specific requirements:

To be used primarily for highway and city navigation; no anticipated need for trail or hiking maps.

Bluetooth connectivity preferred, but SD and CF types might be acceptable.

Map file sizes not crucial, ; because I've got large cards and/or high RAM devices.

Available devices include all Pocket PC sips, from 2000 through WM5.

Since this will be my first foray into the world of GPS, I'd prefer not to shell out TOO much money. I should be able to find a Bluetooth receiver for under $100, shouldn't self-service

I greatly appreciate any guidance and suggestions you have to offer.

Sven Johannsen
06-19-2006, 10:36 AM
There was a multi-package review here just recently. You might want to check it out. Covered TomTom, Mapopolis, and the new PDAMill one that isn't out yet. There are good reviews at www.gpspassion.com. One of the problems is that you really want the opinion of one person that has tried multiple packages, but Nav stuff is expensive enough you don't get that much of that.

I'm a mapopolis fan myself. I find it easy to use, pretty accurate and efficient, and not over priced. Doen't have some of the fancier stuff like 3D view, but paper maps don't either, and I used to use those effectively.

I know you know to stay away from Pocket Streets if you want any sort of navigation functionality. I'd stay away from DeLorme Stret Atlas Handheld as well. It's real cheap, but has a weird interface.