View Full Version : JAMin vs Jam: physically identical on the outside?

ctmagnus
06-18-2006, 10:25 PM
It's coming up time for me to get a new device and I've got my eye on the JAMin. Problem is, I'm looking for a decent case for the JAMin (if Vaja made a dedicated case for it, the decision would be so simple) and none immediately stand out to me. At the moment, I've got my eye on a Sena case, but it's made for the Jam and not the JAMin.

So, my question is, are the JAMin and the Jam physically the same on the exterior, short of the two dedicated softkey buttons on the JAMin?

theone3
06-19-2006, 01:16 AM
They're extremely close; same dimensions, shape, cam. position, etc; but the button layout on the JAMin is very slightly wider than the JAM. Most cases will fit, but some won't.

Owning a JAMin myself, I'd recommend you look seriously at 400MHz alternatives if you're into playing music while you work on the device; or web browsing. The 180MHz dual core processor in the JAMin is also not well utilised, and, ironically, it can't handle multi-tasking very well. I'm finding myself wishing I'd bought a device with an inbuilt keyboard as well. The smaller screen is difficult to cope with (I migrated from a 3.5" screen)

OTOH, if you're only after a phone with some nice PIM functions, it has an excellent button layout (even better with AE Button Plus), a good signal, HTC build quality (magnificently strong), reasonable sound quality, well, It's probably the best unit out there for basic applications.

ctmagnus
06-19-2006, 05:05 AM
They're extremely close; same dimensions, shape, cam. position, etc; but the button layout on the JAMin is very slightly wider than the JAM. Most cases will fit, but some won't.

Thanks!

ctmagnus
06-19-2006, 06:58 AM
One more question:

Owning a JAMin myself, I'd recommend you look seriously at 400MHz alternatives if you're into playing music while you work on the device

Are you referring to using WMP (with all its inefficiencies) here, or just music playback in general?

tedkyle
06-19-2006, 09:44 AM
I had the same question and Sena informed me that they are preparing to release a case specifically for the Jamin.

ctmagnus
07-24-2006, 09:29 PM
I had the same question and Sena informed me that they are preparing to release a case specifically for the Jamin.

I received an email today from Sena showing a JAMin in a Sena case, but I still cannot find anything even referencing the JAMin/S200/Prophet on their site. :worried: