View Full Version : Deciding what to buy - please help

defzeppelin
06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Hello everyone.

I don't want to write much so I'll organize this as well as possible.

I am willing to spend around $250 for a PocketPC. I have my eyes set on the Toshiba E800 and want to know if I can get any better for around the same price.

I am looking for:

-Ability to view E-Books (PDF files) that contains photos.
-Ability to play MP3 songs in good quality.
-Wifi with a sniffer w/ IE
-Play FM radio
-Good battery life, at least 5 hrs
-Switchable batteries
-Can buy keyboards equipt for it
-MSN messenger maybe AIM
-Good amount of memory.
-I need to be able to connect through USB 1.0 (willing to buy converters)
-Decent digicam abilities
-Good amount of modability

Not really important:
Ability to use this as a phone as well.

A few tech questions:

1) How does WiFi work? Do I have to be near a hotspot to go online with my PDA? Can I create my own WiFi connection that extends outside the house using my Computer? (Will be fine indoors as well)
a) Do I need to be near a hotspot to get FM Radio?
b) If there are no hotspots can I pay for one that would extend to me anywhere I go?
** The nearest hotspot is a Library 6 blocks away, but I would rather not have to go there everytime to go online -- I would like to be able to do this in and near my home. **

2) If my battery dies do I lose all of my stored data unless I upload it onto my Computer? If this is true, are there any static options? Is it expensive if there are?

3) Is it possible for me to get a game like Baldurs Gate one or two onto my PocketPC? I will be willing to mod if I could.

and finally...

4) What are my application limitations? Is it restricted to just my OS? Can I mod a great deal to give me a good amount of flexibility?

Thanks in advance.

ADBrown
06-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Well, obviously the E800 doesn't have an FM radio or integrated digital camera, but if you can get one for that price, it should fulfill your requirements. The Dell Axim X51v would also do most of what you're looking for, but it doesn't have USB Host, only Device. I assume that's what you refer to when you talk about connecting through USB.

Yes, WiFi requires a hotspot. Some areas have few hotspots, some have a lot, some have a lot, and some have wide-area WiFi coverage. Yes, you can make your own WiFi--all you need is a perfectly standard router, found at any decent computer shop or online. These will give you anywhere from 100 to 500 feet. If you want to invest a little, you can get more range by adding better antennas to the router.

If you're talking about streaming radio over the internet, yes, you would need internet access of some kind. If you're talking about an actual FM radio card to receive it over the air, no, no hotspot would be needed.

It's very unlikely that there will be WiFi everywhere you go. There are a few cities that have comprehensive WiFi coverage either free or for pay, but most don't. Paying for a hotspot subscription like T-Mobile or the like would probably give you more options, but it would still be limited to small zones. If you want/need internet access everywhere, you'd be better off going with a Bluetooth phone.

#2 depends on your device. If you have something running Windows Mobile 5, you will not lose data if your battery dies, period. If you have Windows Mobile 2003 SE or older, you have 72 hours after your battery dies in which to recharge, otherwise you'll lose data.

You can't run desktop games on a PocketPC, but you may be able to find a similar game available natively on the PPC.

I'm not sure what you mean by application limitations. You can run pretty much any software for the Windows Mobile platform. There aren't any mods that would change this. There are some emulators and such available for various other things like Java, Palm OS, various game consoles, etcetera.

isajoo
06-19-2006, 04:53 AM
i don't think it matter what brand of ppc u get...as long as it has wifi built in or u can even add a cf wifi card. so just remember with the e800 u are most likely running a much faster processor and 128 of ram that need alot of power all the time even if the unit is off...so u might not get the same battery time on that device as apposed to a lower end device. think long and hard why u need a e800. might save a few bucks with other brands and get same options for your uses.

W.I.P.
06-21-2006, 04:11 AM
Try looking at a mid-rande Axim X51 from DELL... should cover your needs.. but will only be in your price range during DELL's 7, 9 or 10 Day Deals.... keep your eyes open as they should be due in the next month or so for another deal blitz...