View Full Version : O2 XDA Exec: 6 Month Rigorous Test

thefunkunfaked
06-17-2006, 01:31 AM
Over 6 months of ownership with nary a hitch.

"What is this device?" and Purchasing.
I have owned Smartphones before, but never a Pocket PC Phone. Looking back, I would say "How did I ever live with just a Smartphone?". I never fully used all of the features on any of the Smartphones I've owned, mainly because of the limitations imposed.

I would consider myself a smart buyer. I took at least a month to figure out exactly what I wanted from a mobile device, and then another 3 weeks to figure out which one would pinpoint my needs. Pros & Cons of all available options considered. I wanted a quality product. For something so useful and valuable, I didn't care what the price tag revealed.

I love the idea of having a wide-range of capabilities from the application aspect and from the networking aspect while I'm on the go. It is important to note that I hate laptops and cringe at the thought of lugging one around. There is also something about carrying a Desktop OS around with you everywhere you go that seems evil to me. At one point, my previous Smartphone refused to operate at all, so I pretty much needed a new phone A.S.A.P.

In my research, I came across every branding of the HTC Universal and began to understand the differences (if any) between them. The style of the O2 XDA Exec appealed to me the most and from what I read, O2 tends to make unique minor hardware and software-related adjustments to the HTC concepts (even though they're sometimes a little slow), resulting in a good end-product.

The majority of the user reviews at the time praised the device. Some said "Too big and heavy", a few complained "The device lags" and few complained of the camera quality. I guess there will always be nitpickers or people who were just never meant to be XDA users.

Open sesame?
I opened the box, which was like almost like a puzzle and I'll admit, I had a tough time figuring out the SIM/battery situation. Once that was over with, I got used to the device in no time. It does help that I have an "IT background" and that the material I'm currently studying is related.

I'm pretty obsessive about Application and Memory Management, so I often kept my usage to a minimum at any give time. I began using the device more and more, and would you believe, I tossed my spiral notebook in the trash and started typing up my Cisco CCIE R&S class notes in Microsoft Word Mobile. :lol:

The more I used the device, I did notice some slight slowdown (but never to the extent of which others complained). Not long at all before I learned how to flash the device. Got it right immediately on my first try, with a brand new ROM. It was a pretty straightforward process, so I don't know why so many seem to have trouble with this.

Flashing & Optimization
I was not expecting the comparison of before & after the flash upgrade to be Apples & Oranges, but that's what it was. It processes like a 512 MHz processor should. You can be more liberal with your Application load and memory seems to be a non-issue. Additionally, Radio signal is improved, Push E-mail is awesome, and A2DP is "functional" (but I don't expect much out of a new feature such as this, which has not even yet matured). Hell, I've even successfully synchronized through ActiveSync several times over Bluetooth. However, that is not my preferred method. Battery usage is improved beyond belief.

Usage
It does get very heavy use (especially as a Pocket PC), but I do my best to treat my Exec like a baby. The screen is always protected and I always use the proprietary slip case. It has suffered a few drops (once on the street, when getting out of a cab!) and unfortunately has a couple of scars. It remains steadfast and a trooper.

+++ I think I have surpassed 1,000 pages of typing in Word and Excel Mobile combined and I'm always viewing .PDFs (tons of Cisco documentation).
+++ I do heavy web-browsing.
+++ I listen to plenty of music and play plenty of video files.
+++ I take TONS of pictures (something I never did much of before on a Smartphone).
+++ I have a 1GB, 2GB and a 4GB SD Card and never had a problem with any of them.
+++ I have used it for Remote Telnet several times.
+++ Finding Wi-Fi Hot Spots is often a piece of cake, so there's really no need for "Broadband Alternatives", but I have my Cingular GPRS Unlimited Data as a backup, just in case.
+++ I *always* seem to pick up Wi-Fi Hot Spots immediately, whereas it would take friends with laptops seemingly an eternity (or they'd just never pick up the signal at all).
+++ I have traveled with it plenty. On one occasion, I took it with me on a 2 1/2 day trip to Florida and back, without a charger. Needless to say, when I got back it was still 13% juiced. :lol: The way I use it, that's a milestone.

All sounds great, but here's the best part.. I have recently found out that I have Celiac Disease. Generally, it is an intolerance to any food products containing Gluten (Wheat, Rye, Barley, Oats, and some additives). That pretty much restricts my diet severely and I now have to stop and think about every meal for the rest of my life, where I'm going to get it, how it's prepared.. and if I'm preparing it, I must read the ingredients very carefully. Quite a pain, especially since Gluten can be hidden in several additives, preservatives, or "Natural/Artificial Flavors". XDA Exec to the rescue. :mrgreen:

Of course there is a Bar Code Scanner which connects to the SDIO Expansion slot. There is also "Gluten-Guard" software, which contains information on thousands of food products, their ingredients, and whether or not it is safe to eat. So, all I have to do when I'm shopping for food is scan the barcode with my XDA Exec and I'm good to go. Optionally, I could type in the SKU.

Conclusion
So, as it turns out.. the device not only turned out to be a reliable rugged and powerful return investment, but also a life-saver. :angel: :clap:

Everyday I find the device more and more useful, as I learn more and more within my field. I'm currently setting up a pretty killer server with the latest Exchange, SharePoint, etc, etc.

I did manage to break the tail of the stylus upon dropping it about 2 months ago (it's currently crazy-glued), but my stylus/pen replacements, which are being shipped from HK, should be even better! With A2DP, I have had the strangest problem. At virtually every crosswalk/intersection in New York City, the signal drops out temporarily (and then recovers upon walking the next block). Neither of these problems would I blame on the quality or build of the Exec/Universal.

With the exception of the Flash Upgrade, I have not had to Hard Reset the device once.

It seems like any of the current or near-future WM devices out there would only be downgrading from where I'm at, so I'm very much happy and fulfilled. I'm sure HTC is planning to make the next step up on WM6 launch. Giving myself the benefit of the doubt, I'll be 5th in line. :wink: Until then, this has been $900.00 well spent.

Oh, and before I forget.. By no means am I a professional photographer, but here are a couple of pictures which turned out quite nicely with the built-in camera:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/thefunkunfaked/vistanav_001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/thefunkunfaked/vistanav_004.jpg

klanum
06-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Did you have any PocketPC PDA prior to the XDA?

thefunkunfaked
06-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Did you have any PocketPC PDA prior to the XDA?

8 years ago..
http://www.pdagold.com/img/hardware/main_large/0000000006.jpg
:rotfl:

klanum
06-21-2006, 10:27 PM
8O That was some time ago! I was looking into the imate jasjar or o2 XDA exec to replace my IPAQ hx4705. Had some issues with it not liking WM5 and forcing me to have PPCTechs repair it as a result back to WM2003.

Seems like it has everything from a PDA standpoint alone and would work on my cingular account too for phone use. I liked you thoughts on it and wondered how much you used a PocketPC prior to this. Thanks for the feedback!

klanum
07-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Just get me an imate JasJar last week and have been playing with it. It is really nice!!! Got a question, did you use Cingular and did you have any problems. I have Cingular today and it seems the 1900 coverage is lacking unless I am doing something wrong. Curious on what issues you had with it, if any?

Thanks!

Silver5
07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Coverage with Cingular is bound to be spotty. The JasJar is triband and only the 1900mhz band works in the US. Since Cingular uses 850mhz as well as 1900mhz you end up missing some of the coverage you may have otherwise had.

klanum
07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah, i found that with my own Cingular account that the 1900 is indeed spotty in my area (Louisville, KY) but 850 is their preferred. Worked mostly in the downtown area on 1900 but 3-4 miles out, it bounces back to the 850 band.

T-mobile is mostly 1900 in the area but does use Cingular's 850 as backup as well. Trying to get them to sell me a pay-as-you-go SIM on their network to see how well it does. The smallest one is for $50 but didn't want to go above $10-$25 at the most. Don't know if any friends have a card or not but that may be my next task if that fails.

I still like the JasJar as my PDA of choice but would love to get the phone working at least 75% of the time. That would be a bonus!

schwuk
07-12-2006, 12:41 AM
I love my O2 XDA Exec. There's no way I could go back to a non-phone Pocket PC, and I certainly couldn't switch to a PDA that doesn't have the same or better specs.

My only beef with it is the size, but it's worth it for the functionality you get.

bananasplit
07-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Been reading this post, and decided to share my thoughts on this as well. Started out with a Palm before switching over to a PPC. Was using a non-phone edition before (started with an HP Ipaq 5555), and then moved to an O2 Xda IIs (quad band), and liked it a lot, till it was stolen from me at work. I then had it replaced by O2 with the Exec, an dyeah, it was bulky and a bit heavy, but the functionality can't be beat!. If you learn to use the keyboard well, you won't even touch the stylus anymore! Very handy, verusu a laptop. I can still do some file editing with my word and excel files.

I would definitely like to make it go faster by flashing it, as i've read somewhere as well that the O2 software loaded on it (which I don't use as I have Spb Pocket Plus, among other Spb stuff installed).

Would you be kind enough to share as to how you flashed your unit: what hardware or software you needed and how you got it?

Thanks! :D