View Full Version : apMemo - cannot register!

terrypin
06-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Something very odd going on here. Yesterday I registered the full version of apMemo and installed it successfully to the SD card on my iPAQ 2210 PPC. This morning, because of potential issues in using the associated desktop program, apMemoView, I decided to reinstall in Main Memory instead.

So I first used AS|Add Remove to uninstall apMemo. But weirdly, when I re-installed from AS, even though I chose Main Memory this time, it insisted on putting it on my SD Card!

It got worse. I then decided I'd have to uninstall 'from PPC and desktop' and so I did that, reinstalling from the original setup program. But now, when the registration window appears there is no keyboard icon :(

So I just have to cancel. A soft reset makes no difference. Keyboard is
accessible in my other applications.

Any advice much appreciated please. Have of course also emailed the author.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

terrypin
06-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Eventually, in the course of increasingly desperate and arbitrary actions, I did something like use the hardware button I've assigned to get into Agenda Fusion, which showed the Keyboard icon in the bottom bar as usual. Somehow, on immediately returning to the apMemo registration window, I found the icon was now present there too as it should be. So I quickly entered my name and password and am now successfully using the program. Can't say I'm very happy though. No reply yet from the author, Alex Pakhotin.

I have a few other basic usage queries I'd like to raise. Any other apMemo users around please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Lex
06-16-2006, 12:23 AM
I can try to help. I've used apMemo for a couple of years once BugMe bugged me enough to uninstall it.

terrypin
06-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks, that's kind of you. I hope to hear back from Alex Pakhotin about my registration problem (which I'm keen to sort, as I may not be so lucky next time I need to re-register). After that I'll also raise the following minor queries with him, but your input would be appreciated please:

Main program
1. How do I enter Text? If I use the keyboard icon, nothing happens. The 'mode' remains set for using the pen.

2. To close a note (not only to minimise the trivial resource, but in order for it to be seen in the PC viewer), am I right that there is no shortcut exit feature? IOW, you need to close it via the top right standard button and choose Close?

Viewer on PC
3. Using the apMemoViewer, why must I do File|Open and browse to apMemo.dat every time, in order to see the notes? There is only that one file, with that one name! In fact, I can't see why it doesn't open automatically.

4. Am I right that there is no Refresh tool, or automatic re-opening? It's a nuisance you have to re-open that apMemo.dat if you want to see any changes.

Best wishes,

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Lex
06-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Sorry terrypin, I never got an EM notification of your latest post. I do not use the PC viewer so cannot address those questions. I normally use Wisbar Advance2 so I turned it off to see apMemo the way you do. It appears I cannot close a particular note, I can only close the entire application. I can scroll left and right through all my notes so I believe this is the way the app is designed to operate. I am also unable to enter text despite the text input icon appearing on the lower right screen. There seems to be no Help function. I use apMemo for handwritten reminder alarm notes or quick info note-taking and it does that without fail.

terrypin
06-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks Lex.

I think it's great, and it's already one of my favourite applications.

It's not that I particularly want to add text - h/w is so much faster - but it bugs me that there's a keyboard tool that does nothing. Ironic too, as there wasn't one in the Registration window when I really needed it. Maybe it slipped out of there into the main app ;)

On the question of a fast exit, I see now that Tools|Exit does the job.

So the only remaining question really is why on earth the viewer doesn't load the file automatically when it's started on the PC. Asked Alex, but so far no reply.

Correction: I just thought of a new question! Are all these bitmap notes stored within that one file? (Syncs to D:\Docs\Pocket_PC My Documents\apMemo Notes\apMemo.dat in my case.) I'm wondering if, for the occasional fun of it, I could use an existing bitmap of the right size and type as the background for a new note? That would need some way of adding the bitmap to the current collection. Maybe one for the wishlist...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK