View Full Version : MS reader doesn't open secure ebook when "low memory"

tewmgd
06-15-2006, 07:30 AM
I've a I-Mate K-JAM with the latest MS Reader. If I have "only" 20 Mb or less (50% of programms memory available) when I open a secure ebook I've a error message saying that the software .It's weird because the MS Reader itself when running take less than 1Mb.

The error message is "The digital security software that protects this eBook has been updated. You must re-activate in order to open this title."

A soft reset allow me to open the eBook.

Matthieu

Don't Panic!
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
When I try to open an eBook in my Library, a message pops up: "The digital security that protects this ebook has been updated." Why do I see this message?
If your Microsoft Reader has not been activated, you'll receive this message.

Updating Microsoft Reader is a two-step process: each of your reading devices must be updated with the Reader software, and activated to allow you to read premium eBook titles that are copy-protected by publishers at the "Owner Exclusive" level. When you activate Microsoft Reader, you identify yourself as the person who will be using your reading device.

That was is from the Microsoft Reader (http://www.microsoft.com/reader/info/support/faq/update.asp) site. So it sounds like cracking the DRM on some e-books is dead simple if I'm reading your question correctly. Was you copy of MS Reader activated previously?

tewmgd
06-15-2006, 06:45 PM
I have activated my ms reader when I inatalled the new version (my kjam came without it) and I buy my ebooks from fictionwise.com. but the fact that when I do soft reset the ppc I can open again the ebook lets me think that it s a bug.

matthieu

Don't Panic!
06-15-2006, 07:34 PM
It does sound like a bug to me as well. 20 MB should be more than enouigh memory to handle any e-book.

duongplm
06-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks