View Full Version : Is Compaq ever going to announce a new flagship model PDA?

Vecna1
06-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Greetings,

I've been a long-time lurker and finally decided to post. My 5 year old Compaq PDA (3855) has finally decided to break down. Last year I was eyeing that 4705 model but decided to wait. I had heard rumors that Compaq would announce a new model on June 1st, but here it is, 2 weeks later and I haven't heard a thing. I really don't want to buy a Cell Phone integrated with my PDA and I really want VGA resolution. I know that some websites have the 4705 model still but I can't see buying a 1.5 year old model when hopefully a new one is on the horizon. So my question is two fold:

1. Does anyone have any idea when Compaq/HP is going to announce a new model?
2. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a top-end PDA?

I'm looking for the following from my PDA:
* VGA resolution
* Fastest processor available
* WM 5.0 Operating system
* Decent Battery Life (I know I can speedstep down the processor if necessary)
* As much RAM as possible
* WIFI
* SD Card Slot
* Camera/bluetooth optional but nice if included
* Price not really an issue. Don't mind spending more if it has what I want.

I've thought about buying a Dell x51v but I'm reluctant based on the fact that a) I've heard rumors that Dell is getting out of the PDA market, b) I heard the battery life stinks, c) It's a Dell... (God help me if I actually buy a Dell...)

In any event, I could use some advice or info if anyone has any about new models or possibly models from other brands that are just on the horizon. After waiting all these years I feel like I'd really like to get something new finally.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Vecna1

ADBrown
06-14-2006, 10:51 PM
1. Does anyone have any idea when Compaq/HP is going to announce a new model?

HP doesn't seem to have any plans to release a new high-end model any time soon. The 2790 has arguably become their flagship. Their new device efforts are being directed at their increasingly disasterous line of smartphone devices, because they think they can cash in easily there rather than having to actually develop good devices.

I've thought about buying a Dell x51v but I'm reluctant based on the fact that a) I've heard rumors that Dell is getting out of the PDA market,

They're not.

b) I heard the battery life stinks,

Not really. 4 to 12 hours depending on how you use it. More if you have the screen turned off.

c) It's a Dell... (God help me if I actually buy a Dell...)

Why? If you're worried about build quality, it's an HTC-built device, the same as the iPaq 4000 and 1900 models.

Nurhisham Hussein
06-15-2006, 01:33 AM
Why? If you're worried about build quality, it's an HTC-built device, the same as the iPaq 4000 and 1900 models.

...and just like about 90% of the other devices out there, including Fujitsu-Siemens, iMate, Qtek, Dopod, O2, Audiovox, etc, etc.