View Full Version : Wanting to build a simple home theater pc

Joelacrane
06-13-2006, 03:56 AM
I posted that question about DVD drives earlier, but i have a few more questions.

First, whats a good PCI videocard that has composite out, is 3d accelerated, and would work slightly more then well with my 600mhz Celeron Processor? Is there a good way to adapt s-video to composite? Im not having much luck finding anything with a composite out!

(I know a celeron sounds slow, but what more do you need for DVD's and Mp3s? And i might have a 1ghz proc to plop in there.)

Second, ive been watching wireless keyboards on eBay, and ive been seeing lots of Logitech SE mouse/keyboard combos going for very cheap. I would like to get one, plug it in and then run the wire to the receiver into the computer and place the receiver somewhere IN the case. What kind of range would i get if i did this? I would only need 15 feet at most, but ive heard that this will shorten the range to less than 9. Whatcha think?

My computer is a Dell Optiplex gx100, i like it because its about the same size as an Xbox, and i got it for free. Sounds wimpy? It is, but like i said earlier, it doesnt take much to perform basic HTPC tasks. Ive already got a Soundblaster Live! in it right now, and that only leaves one more PCI slot. Ethernet is onboard, as video (But i wont use it, maybe for a second monitor) and USB. Im not planning on recording anything, or playing any new PC games (Although i might run some emulators on it, much easier and cooler than slogging the old Super Nintendo around!).

Thanks for the help!