View Full Version : Question about small formfactor CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives

Joelacrane
06-11-2006, 06:26 AM
I hope its ok if i post a general computer question here... But i was recentely given a small formfactor pc, a Dell Optiplex gx100. It has no CD-ROM drive. I would like to make it into a Home Theater PC since it is the perfect size. I would like to put a DVD-ROM in it though, and i cant figure out if the special thin CD-ROM slot is a standard size or what. It looks t obe about the same thickness as my old laptop CD-ROM... Is there a standard thin drive size? Thanks!

Menneisyys
06-11-2006, 11:36 AM
I hope its ok if i post a general computer question here... But i was recentely given a small formfactor pc, a Dell Optiplex gx100. It has no CD-ROM drive. I would like to make it into a Home Theater PC since it is the perfect size. I would like to put a DVD-ROM in it though, and i cant figure out if the special thin CD-ROM slot is a standard size or what. It looks t obe about the same thickness as my old laptop CD-ROM... Is there a standard thin drive size? Thanks!

Unfortunately, there are no standardized form factors / connector types for built-in optical drives. That is, most probably, you will only able to use internat drives specifically meant for your notebook model.

You'll still want to have a look at compatible products or hacks to drive down the expenses. There may be home-grown hacks.

Darius Wey
06-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Moved to the Off-Topic forum.

- DW

ADBrown
06-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Actually, there is a standard form-factor and interface for laptop drives. Some manufacturers, however, put drives in an enclosure or add an adapter to the connection, so that you can only use specific drives in their laptops. If you remove these components, you'll be left with a standard slim optical drive which will work in that GX100. Good luck with your project. I considered buying one of those models myself for exactly that purpose.

Joelacrane
06-12-2006, 03:20 AM
For now im just trying to use a regular IDE CD-ROM drive to get windows installed. I couldnt get it to boot from the CD-ROM drive, so im having to use floppies to get the XP installation started. A windows 98 boot disk recognizes that a CD-ROM exists, but XP's installation disks dont seem to, i am trying again right now. Its a very old drive (4x) that wouldnt have anything to do with it would it?

If you want any pics of the computer let me know and i can take some. I plan on taking apart a usb hub and making my own front mounted USB for gamepads and buying a cheap USB Remote control and wiring the receiver into the front of the case. Then, ill just need that DVD-ROM and a decent pci videocard and im set.

Menneisyys
06-14-2006, 06:41 AM
Some manufacturers, however, put drives in an enclosure or add an adapter to the connection, so that you can only use specific drives in their laptops. If you remove these components, you'll be left with a standard slim optical drive which will work in that GX100.

Yup, "hacking" existing drives has always been tried by IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad users (IBM optical drives are very expensive - about 2-3 times more than drives from other manufacturers). They have almost always failed.

Joelacrane
06-14-2006, 05:36 PM
No, ADB is correct. i took apart my CD-ROM drive from my old Toshiba Tecra 8000 and it all came apart very easily. It left a small formfactor drive that looks like every drive ive found on the internet. I suppose there are some different drives out there that are more difficult to take apart...

Im having a terrible time finding caddies. Ive searched endlessly though google and forums, and there seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue. Ive narrowed it down to a part number and a picture though, they are still hard to find for sale. Ive found cheap optiplex gx100 CD-ROM drives on ebay, so ive bid on one (7 bucks or something) and when i get it, ill either use it or take it apart and use the caddie/ide adapter.

Joelacrane
06-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Lol i found some ATAPI to IDE adapters for 3 dollars apeice... i might just get those and a roll of double sided tape from Wally World! I dont see why that wouldnt work well.

ctmagnus
06-30-2006, 03:58 AM
I've worked on a bazillion GX100's and iirc, they use standard optical drives. But don't take my word for it; I've never looked too close at the optical drive as it was always either the harddrive or motherboard I had to replace.

... i cant figure out if the special thin CD-ROM slot is a standard size or what. It looks t obe about the same thickness as my old laptop CD-ROM... Is there a standard thin drive size? Thanks!

Are you referring to the exterior view? The case covers most of the drive, just exposing the caddy itself. Again, that's if I recall correctly; I tend to try to block out most of the memories of those hardware replacements. ;)

Joelacrane
07-01-2006, 04:46 AM
There are two kinds of GX100's, one that drops into a normal case and another that uses a small formfactor, i know this because i discovered that my dads work computer is also a GX100. It uses standard drives. I found drives and caddies on eBay, and my computer is now running Windows XP, and working as my Home Theater PC, playing SNES games, n64 games, original nintendo games, movies, winamp, and soon, DVDs. I am using a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard as a remote, it works fairly well, and even works with winamp out of the box. It is very cool to run Geiss for visualation on the TV and use the keyboard to switch tracks and adjust the volume. I am using a USB to Playstation controller (2x ports) for my emulators, i just cannot get sound to work in Project64 (n64 emulator). I also cannot find a good HTPC Frontend. Thanks for your help guys!