View Full Version : Cell phone send/receive capabilities

tregnier
06-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi,

This isn't a PPC question, but I think there's someone in the forum that can help me.

I'm going to buy a couple of new cell phones, not smart phones (I have a Dell Axim 51v and don't want to combine devices). The problem I'm having is that I suspect that there are quantifiable differences between phones in their send/receive capabilities that aren't related to the quality of service provided by service providers. However, I can't seem to find a website where I can find the data to make an intelligent choice.

Does anyone know of a website where phones can be compared as to their send/receive capabilities?

Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
06-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Not sure what you mean by that. Are you talking SMS/MMS, which is typically independent of 'data' capability, or are you talking about data, like e-mail and web?

If the latter, yes, the hardware is as important as the service. Most providers have assortments of low through high data rate services, with the higher ones still being rolled out, and not available everywhere.

I think you will find though that phones that are capable of the higher data rates are the higher end feature phones. They tend to be the 'smarter' phones, if not WM phones.

If you are thinking of tethering your PPC through the phone for data, make sure the provider allows that, and that there is some way to connect the two. BT is the most typical method these days, and most higher end phones do suport it now. (Wasn't that long ago you had to hunt for a BT capable phone, now look at it).

Mostly though, any phone that has the ability to connect to data servies, also has the inherent ability to make use of that, so if you look for phones that can access e-mail, web, etc. you get a phone with data capabilities.

tregnier
06-10-2006, 08:46 PM
I am not talking about data. Just good 'ol talking. My wife's phone goes into roaming where I get 2-3 bars on another phone. I'm looking for measurements of reception. I don't know about SMS/MMS or whatever.

Thx!