View Full Version : Active Sync 3.8 'Synchronisation Error' - I'm stumped, can you help?

martin_ayton
06-09-2006, 01:14 PM
I just replaced the HDD in my laptop and, as a result, had to reload the OS (Win XP Pro SP2) and everything else (I couldn't ghost it, this time). To my suprise everything went just fine until I came to re-syncing my PPC (an HTC Blue Angel). The connection is established, but it comes up with 'Synchronisation Error' every time. I can explore the PPC from Active Sync, I can run AS dependant apps like Innobec Sidewindow and Sprite Backup, but I can't get the sync to work.

I'd be prepared to delete the partnership and start over, but I can't work out how to do that because 'delete partnership' is greyed out.

Any help you can give would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Martin.

Nurhisham Hussein
06-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi martin - the problem is while you've had to start a new partnership on the laptop, your PDA still thinks the old one is there. This needs to be deleted - get a registry editor, navigate to here in your PDA's registry:

\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners

There will be two entries here - P1 and P2 - and just delete the values for PId and PName (you can safely keep the entries, it's just the values that need to be deleted). If you have more than one partnership, just delete the one that's identifiable as your laptop. This can be crosschecked under the computer name on your PC (Start->Settings->Control Panel->System->Computer name tab). Do a soft reset after this and you're done.

martin_ayton
06-09-2006, 04:28 PM
The weird thing was that *both* the PDA and the laptop had details of the old partnership (it had survived on the laptop via a profile stored on my network) as evidenced by the fact that the laptop didn't need me to put in a password to get access to the PDA...

However, that aside, I did as you said and everything seems to be working fine now. Thank you, thank you. :beer: