View Full Version : Can "Programs" on the start menu be reassigned?

elempoimen
06-07-2006, 02:13 PM
I'd like to make the "programs" item on the start menu run PHM Launcher rather than the built-in Programs browser. Is there a way to do this?

Guest979
06-07-2006, 03:47 PM
I'd like to make the "programs" item on the start menu run PHM Launcher rather than the built-in Programs browser. Is there a way to do this?

You can place whatever shortcuts you want in \Windows\Start Menu\, as well as removing most of the ones that are preinstalled if you wish.

elempoimen
06-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Nope. You missed what I'm saying. Toward the bottom of the menu are two items: "Programs" and "Settings"

"Settings" aggregates all of the cpl items in \Windows, as well as anything else you dump in the folder manually.

"Programs" contains all of the shortcuts in the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder. I want to *replace* that "Programs" item with a shortcut to something else, so when I tap on "Programs" it will bring up PHM Launcher rather than the built in shortcut browser.

Different question: Incidentally, how can I manually bring up the "Settings" control panel?

Jason Dunn
06-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Please only post once in our forums - your other message has been deleted. People will see it even if you only post once, trust me. :-)

- Site Admin

Guest979
06-07-2006, 06:32 PM
There is no built-in way to remove Programs from the start menu. I wasn't sure about that part, but I just checked and Windows Mobile won't allow it. Even if you find 3rd-party software that can override the OS's basic safety checks, I would not advise using it. I still don't see why it's a big deal to have Programs in the menu when you can add PHM Launcher to the Start Menu as well.

isajoo
06-07-2006, 10:11 PM
adding something is easier then trying to remove it.

elempoimen
06-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Somehow, Conduits has gotten it so it can be redirected to run Pocket Launcher. So, apparently it can be done. I don't want to remove it; I want to redirect it. Why? Simplicity. I want it to be immediately apparent to my wife...who is not a geek like me.

Guest979
06-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Well, it turns out that trying to remove program shortcuts did work, partially, even though it gave me an error message. I ended up unable to run any programs whatsoever, because I nuked them from the Start Menu (including File Explorer).

This is my own fault, but I'm still no longer in the mood to experiment with this topic. :)

In case anyone was wondering - Spb Backup is a very nice product. 8)

elempoimen
06-08-2006, 03:04 PM
LOL!

I was thinking of something a little less...drastic. A registry edit, perhaps? Pocket Launcher doesn't mess with the shortcuts.

Menneisyys
06-10-2006, 07:14 AM
LOL!

I was thinking of something a little less...drastic. A registry edit, perhaps? Pocket Launcher doesn't mess with the shortcuts.

I've scrutinized this question; neither the Registry nor the WinCE databases store any related info. These assignments are stored in RAM (try the reassignment from pocket Launcher on a WM5 device and, then, power it off entirely so that the RAM contents is completely wiped out - you'll see that the device forgets these assignments too) and, therefore, you can't have any effect on this with 'standard' reged/database editor tools.

elempoimen
06-10-2006, 04:48 PM
so, Pocket Launcher must load a RAM patch rather than do some kind of registry edit or other setting. Hrm. T'would still be nice to know how it's done...

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.