View Full Version : What's the difference between...

KaliKao2
06-06-2006, 11:29 PM
What's the difference between ARM, ARMV4, MIPS, SH3, X86 etc.? Cab files with these different extensions will only run on certain processors, is there a cab file that will work with all different types? Or must a .msi file be built?

Thanks!

Guest979
06-07-2006, 03:27 AM
What's the difference between ARM, ARMV4, MIPS, SH3, X86 etc.? Cab files with these different extensions will only run on certain processors, is there a cab file that will work with all different types? Or must a .msi file be built?

Thanks!

If you use the default settings in Visual Studio, it should create a CAB containing versions for all the different processors. You might have to specify which processors you want it to build for, but you don't have to write your own INI file, or use multiple CABs, just for that.

Also, I don't have version 2005... I would guess that .NETcf 2.0 programs might refuse to build for processors other than ARM-based ones, since support for all other processor types was dropped quite a while ago. (Note that Intel XScale and Texas Instruments OMAP are implementations of ARM's standard, as are various products from Samsung and other manufacturers. Different brands, but same basic processor type.)

I think the x86 build is just for your own debugging convenience, so you have a build that will run faster on a desktop computer with a Windows Mobile emulator.

KaliKao2
06-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks Guest979, that information helped! I ended up making a .msi file (but the process took me a while to figure out) that incorporates 6 different cabs, so on installation the installer will decide which one to use on the pocket PC.