View Full Version : PDA-less

Constant Caffeine
06-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I traded my 20” flat panel display and my HP 4155 and all it’s accessories to a co-worker for his Toshiba 3.2GHz laptop. I’m moving in 28 days to Norway and all my 120V devices will not work properly without a power converter.

I'm not sure what I will get to replace my h4155. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nurhisham Hussein
06-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Look for the Europe-only stuff like Fujitsu-Siemens.

SteveHoward999
06-07-2006, 03:29 AM
I traded my 20” flat panel display and my HP 4155 and all it’s accessories to a co-worker for his Toshiba 3.2GHz laptop. I’m moving in 28 days to Norway and all my 120V devices will not work properly without a power converter.

I'm not sure what I will get to replace my h4155. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hmmm - maybe you should have checked your power supplies first.

I moved 2 years ago from the UK to USA ... UK is 240 vold. My Laptop, PC, flat panel monitor, cell phone, PDA and numerous other devices all had dual voltage power supplies. On the Dell PC I had to change a switch at the back but all other devices simply required me to either use a cheap ($2) adaptor or else replace the main power cord that supplies the power supply. I would have expected your h4155 would be the same.

rhmorrison
06-07-2006, 08:49 AM
No, it certainly wasn't necessary to sell the hp 4155 as the charger (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=FA372B%23AC3) even has the adapters included. My old true blue hp Jornada 568 only needed a cheap adapter to work with 220 v as the AC adapter works for 50/60 cyles 110/220 volts. So he can buy any PDA he wants. Some of the Fujitsu-Siemans units are very nice. Personally I would want one with built-in WLAN and GPS receiver.

pheral
06-07-2006, 11:22 AM
I travel to and from Norway all the time, and a simple plug adapter works with all my equipment (pda's, laptops, phones) over there.

And hey, i'm jealous! i'm hoping to move to Sotra some day. Beautiful place. :D

Constant Caffeine
06-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Sorry I did not reply sooner. Packing my home has become a part-time job. I cannot believe the ‘stuff’ we collected over six years of marriage. :roll: Anyway…

hishamh, someone else told me that Siemens would be a good brand, thanks for confiming.

SteveHoward999 & rhmorrison, I did check the power supplies. My all my equipment is straight 120V 60Hz. I did consider buying a power converter, but those things are the size of a toaster. 8O I then looked into buying a new dock for my PDA but that would have set me back $70. The PDA was three years old and the display was less than a year. It is sad to get rid of them, but I look at it as a way to upgrade. :D Besides, electronic devices in Norway carry a five-year warranty, or so I’m told. Here in the U.S. you have to pay additional money for an extended warranty, which usually is no longer than three years. In Norway, the five-year warranty is included in the selling price.

pheral, Sorta, is that near Bergen? Norway is beautiful. I will be moving to Bodø, about 50 miles north of the artic circle.

Eighteen days to go…

Janak Parekh
06-14-2006, 06:18 PM
SteveHoward999 & rhmorrison, I did check the power supplies. My all my equipment is straight 120V 60Hz.
I can't speak for your non-PDA equipment, but something is wrong as far as the iPAQ 4155 is concerned. Every HP Pocket PC, starting with the iPAQ 3650, came with a dual-voltage dual-frequency power supply. Are you sure you didn't see "120~240V"? Most electronics designate their power supplies as such nowadays...

Anyway, good luck with packing. Re what to get, I'd consider a GSM Pocket PC Phone; European availability of the newer stuff tends to be better than over here.

--janak