View Full Version : I'm Jamin' too!

karinatwork
05-29-2006, 05:43 PM
After a couple of years with my trusted h4150, I got tired of lugging around my pocket pc, my cellphone and a digital camera. I mean, a girl's got a purse, but I need the room for other stuff, not just gadgets, especially now that I have to lug my 4-year-old's stuff around as well. So I kinda fell in love with the I-mate Jam, but I was weiry about spending big bucks on a pocket pc that was already "old" again. Then I heard about the I-mate Jamin, which seemed to fit the bill perfectly: it is a pocket pc and a GSM cellphone, it has a 2 megapixel camera (which is not really great but it also isn't that important to me), and it has built in Wifi (which is important to me). The Jamin is small, smaller than the 4150 although thicker, and it's only a little bit bigger (wider) than my Motorola ROKR. The screen is fabulous, nicer than the h4150 (not yellow), and the form factor is extraorinary.

Yet Thursday night, when I started to play with my new pocket pc, I panicked. What have I done? None of my software will work on this thing! Wifi doesn't work either! What are those settings for? Why does the address book not support caller ID ringtones? Why does the battery run down so quickly? And why the heck is this thing so FLIPPIN' slow!!!!!?????

I went to bed frustrated and woke up frustrated. Do you know that feeling, when you get this new pocket pc, or cellphone, or whatever it is, that you were really looking forward to, but now it disappoints you in every aspect? That's the feeling I had. Well, until I realized that I needed to update the ROM. What a difference it made! I am holding a completely new device in my hands now. It's fast, it has all the features I need, Wifi works, caller ID (pictures and ringtones) work without additional sofware; my ebooks work, my diary software works, it's fast, it's fun, it's tiny and cute and I am in love. Right now I feel like this is the Jamin and I might become real good friends, a friend that I won't dump after only a year or so.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/the-nelsons/Pocket PC.jpg

(This should be a picture of my holding my Jamin, but it might not work, sorry...)

If you're tired of hauling a pile of gadgets in your pocket, or if you're currently considering updating your cellphone, look into the Jamin (or Qtek S200, or however they're called). It's alot of money, but it's totally worth it.

Just my 1.5 cents. (I can't afford the other 0.5, I need to pay off my credit card now). :D

K.

P.S.: I intentionally drained the battery to 4%, to recondition it, and it made a big difference (btw, it almost took me 5 hours of music blaring at full volume with maximum backlight settings. That's a long time.)

ctmagnus
05-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Great stuff! That's the one I've got my eye on as well.

Where'd you order it from? The two places I'm considering are SuperiorGadgets (http://www.superiorgadgets.com/) - Canadian, so no nasty surprises with shipping, brokerage fees, etc. and Mad Monkey Boys Gadgets (http://www.dweiniger.com) - appears to be cheaper after exchange, but there may be hidden fees to get it across the border.

karinatwork
05-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Well, I did got with Madmonkeyboy - and while the name doesn't necessarily inspire me with a lot of trust (being a mad monkey and all that), he came through for me and helped me with all the extra issues along the way. I can highly recommend him.

I am lucky and work only a block from the US border, and I have a US mail box at walking distance. So I had him ship it there and I brought it across the border myself. In the end it did cost me around CAN $ 750 in total. It is the most expensive pocket pc I ever bought, but considering how much I spent for the first three, it's not THAT bad in comparison. I am getting a lot more bang for the buck now. I never had one break on me or needing any time of service, and hopefully it won't happen with this one either, but the worldwide service sure helps in case the unexpected happens...

In any case, I can highly recommend it. I decided to go with the Jamin, and not the Qtek S200 or Dopod or Neo or how they'are all called, because of the fact that they seem to offer the best service and the fastest ROM updates, and with me being just a moderate "geek", I need all the extra help I can get. One thing I noticed, just in case you're ending up getting one, I couldn't get the Wifi going for the life of me, but once I switched off the GSM it found it right away, I just put in the pass key and it worked. When I re-enabled the cellphone, the settings were still there so now I can switch the Wifi on and off without having to switch off the cellphone... I don't get it, but as long as it all works, I'm fine with it.

:)

Sven Johannsen
05-31-2006, 05:14 AM
Yet Thursday night, when I started to play with my new pocket pc, I panicked. What have I done? None of my software will work on this thing! Wifi doesn't work either! What are those settings for? Why does the address book not support caller ID ringtones? Why does the battery run down so quickly? And why the heck is this thing so FLIPPIN' slow!!!!!?????

P.S.: I intentionally drained the battery to 4%, to recondition it, and it made a big difference (btw, it almost took me 5 hours of music blaring at full volume with maximum backlight settings. That's a long time.)

Well, I warned you about slow, but you had already bought the thing. Like I said, there is this physics trade off between screamig performance and battery life. Guess you've come to grips with it. Seems you got WiFi sorted too. Go see if your software has been updated. Most has, unless it is a bit obscure. Have you looked in the contact in edit mode? There is a ringtone field in my WM5 devices. You've made a substantial leap, WM2003 PPC to WM5 PPCPE. It is a bit of adjustment, but you seem like you are getting there. Congrats. Buy a new headset yet?

karinatwork
05-31-2006, 05:42 AM
Hey, with the new ROM, the speed is actually quite bearable. Not as fast as the h4150 mind you, but that was a fast one anyway.

I can't believe it, I had the thing three days and I am hacking the registry already (applied the A2DP fix but don't have a headset yet to test it). Because of the A2DP thing, I was chewing up and down on the idea of getting a bluetooth stereo headset, but there are several problems things I am considering for my decision, It's not easy, but I am thinking I am getting there:

1. I want stereo.
2. I don't want a big headset, I just can't do the earmuffs.
3. If I spend the $ 100 for a earplug style bluetooth headset, I'm all wired up again (from the clip to the ears, anyway), plus I have to recharge the thing, plus it might not even work, ERGO:
I'm going to get a decent, wired, headset with remote control and good performance.

So, I'm back where I started. And no, I haven't gotten that one, either. :)

My husband says I'm complicated. I'm beginning to think the same.

ctmagnus
06-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Question for you, Karin: How are you finding going cradle-less?

ctmagnus
07-01-2006, 12:26 AM
I should be JAMin in a week as well. :D