View Full Version : Wow what happened to the PPC world?

kaiden.1
05-28-2006, 11:19 PM
First time logging back onto this site is several years.......

When PPC first came onto the market I purchased a cassio E-125, Great little device back in 2000? Virtually no problems with it, in fact I pulled it back out of the closet, replaced the backup battery and recharged the unit, loaded up all the old software that I had and bam I was back in business. It still works great with no problems and has a great color screen. In 2002 I bought a Toshiba E-740 and had nothing but trouble and lots of crashing, could not take waiting for the 90+ seconds while the device booted back up sitting in front of clients trying to appologize for my device being slow. So I converted back to Palm (Sony Device) and have been trouble free ever since. Palm of course took a HUGE leap forward, thanks to the competition, the PPC was a good thing to force Palm forward.

I still use my Sony Clie UX-50 as my main go to unit for eveything that I do. I have lots of games and use it for everything. It is Rock Solid and I miss the fact that Sony left the market. They make good stuff.

As a result of looking back on everything and reloading my old Cassio, I decided to go out and purchase another new PPC, I originally chose a Dell Axim x51v, (has lots of bells and whistles) but learned after only 3 days that the unit just won't find the memory card, it looses it after only about an hour......ugh!!!! I don't like having to re-set a device over and over, it needs to work, that's what I pay for. I have lots of respect for Dell, but their PPC needs work, so I sent it back. I started doing a lot more research and bought an HP hx2495b, it was the right price range and has everything that I could find, loosing the vga screen from the Dell unit was a downer, but I have been extremely happy with this HP unit. Once again I loaded up all my old software that I had, which brings me to the reason that I am writing this post!

What has happened to the PPC market? Back in 2002 software was being produced by the droves and the handheld market was soring. I have noticed that lots of the software being sold is not even updated and lots of it doesn't work right on the new v.WM5 OS. Rather dissappointed in some of the software companies. It's like many of them have abandoned the PPC all together. Some of them have moved over to the cell phone market dropping PPC. I can truely say that I don't know of anyone that plays games that much on their cell phones. Most of the time cell phone games are used as a "nothing to do" while your waiting on something else, and I don't know anyone who has more than 2 or 3 games (ones that came with the phone) at most. I can't even think of a time where I have even caught someone playing a game on their cell phone. I really think that the cell phone game market is not a keeper as ones long term flagship bread winner. Very dissappointed in what I have found.

Some of the software that I had purchased no longer exists and I actually lost 4 programs. Even after sending out an e-mail, I got no response.

The phone market: I think that most phone manufacturers are moving over to some type of OS phone, but I can't really say that the consumers are moving that way. If you are out there buying a smart phone/ some OS type of phone, it's not neccesarily because your choosing to, last time I was at the phone store for T-Mobile I had very little choice but to look at an OS type of phone just because that is nearly all you have to look at. I only had 3 basic phones that I could choose. Personally I prefer the basic phone and bought one. I think about all the people that I know who have an OS phone and most of them do not even know what their phone is able to do software wise. There are only 2 features that I know of that people use like crazy. And that is the built in camera and text messaging. Lots of people use the camera and lots of people text their friends.

Personally I think that the cell market will change too, because people are not really looking for what the manufacturers are making per say. They have many features on their phones just because the cell phone came with it in the first place. It might be a good idea to send out a survey to find out how many people really use the different features? Or do they even know what their cell phone can do?

Where will it all end up no one knows. I don't see hardly any PPC units in the retail stores any more and Palm is the same way. The selection is next to nothing.

In any case I find myself using my Palm more for business and the PPC for play and fun, maybe I should get a Treo?

Thanks for letting me post my thoughts!

-kirk

Nurhisham Hussein
05-29-2006, 01:12 AM
What has happened to the PPC market? Back in 2002 software was being produced by the droves and the handheld market was soring. I have noticed that lots of the software being sold is not even updated and lots of it doesn't work right on the new v.WM5 OS. Rather dissappointed in some of the software companies. It's like many of them have abandoned the PPC all together.

I think it might have something to do with the changes Microsoft made in licensing - for 3rd party software to work on a WM5 device, it needs to have a signed certificate (sorry - hazy about the details) for which developers have to pay a license fee to M$. This was over and above the cost of purchasing the new software required (you HAVE to have VS2005). As you can imagine, quite a few independent and hobby developers were left out in the cold.

ADBrown
05-29-2006, 05:37 AM
think it might have something to do with the changes Microsoft made in licensing - for 3rd party software to work on a WM5 device, it needs to have a signed certificate

Actually, that's not the case. This requirement only applies to a handful of Smartphone devices which are specially application-locked by the wireless carrier. Unsigned applications run fine.

Menneisyys
05-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I can truely say that I don't know of anyone that plays games that much on their cell phones. Most of the time cell phone games are used as a "nothing to do" while your waiting on something else, and I don't know anyone who has more than 2 or 3 games (ones that came with the phone) at most. I can't even think of a time where I have even caught someone playing a game on their cell phone. I really think that the cell phone game market is not a keeper as ones long term flagship bread winner. Very dissappointed in what I have found.

Well, I'd say games are "the killer application" for many "dumb" phone models (for example, the S-E 750i). A lot of guys at work play a lot on their S-E phones.

Menneisyys
05-30-2006, 06:23 PM
When PPC first came onto the market I purchased a cassio E-125, Great little device back in 2000? Virtually no problems with it, in fact I pulled it back out of the closet, replaced the backup battery and recharged the unit, loaded up all the old software that I had and bam I was back in business. It still works great with no problems and has a great color screen.

I love my E-125 too. I've even spent some weeks on collecting/reviewing most MIPS games ever released (http://pocketpcmag.com/blogs/menneisyys/052006MIPSGames.asp) - you may want to give it a read too if you want to use your Casio for gaming. This device is capable of much more things than most people assume.