View Full Version : Stupid User Errors - Turn On ALL The WiFi Equipment!

Ed Hansberry
05-28-2006, 07:00 PM
I recently changed ISPs and was loathe to set up my WiFi network again. I was dreading going through the hassle of hard resetting my router, installing the generally lame cable modem software, spoofing the MAC address, trying to rid my PC of the infestation of the cable modem software, creating a new security key and then entering that key into my 8 devices on the network (K-Jam, SDA, 3 TiVos and 3 computers)<br /><br />Imagine my surprise when I just plugged my router into the cable modem's ethernet port and poof! It just worked. I was getting frustrated though because the signal was weak and the internet connection kept dropping. I thought I was going to have to go the hard-reset route. I decided to turn off everything (modem, router and signal booster) when I realized that when I "turned off" the power strip, it was actually turning on. Huh? The cable guy set up the modem, so it was plugged into the wall. The router was, by chance, plugged into a "non-switched" socket on the power strip, so when it came on, I didn't really look at the power strip itself. Tthe signal booster, however, was in a normal socket, so for 3 days it had really been off. :i got it: The light on the signal booster is so small, dim and is just a bit off center from the hole even when it is on, you can't hardly tell, so I never really paid attention to it. So whatever signal I was getting was from the router that had no antenna since it was wired to the signal booster. It is a wonder it worked at all. <br /><br />After I turned everything off for real, then turned it all on, it has been working just fine for the last 20 hrs or so. Truly a classic case of "ok, did you plug it in? Is the power light on?" :rotfl:<br /><br />What embarrassing goofs have you committed when working with tech?

Vincent M Ferrari
05-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Wife bought a brand new laptop for school. We had it all running and everything was great. It was fast, etc. Wifi worked great.

One day, I get a phone call at work. "My laptop is off and it won't come on." I start losing my mind. "Is it plugged in?" I ask her, sure that this was indeed the problem. Yep. It's plugged in.

I get home that night and try a million things to turn it on. Nothing. Just won't power on.

So I call tech support thinking we would have to RMA it. "Is it plugged in?" he asks. "Of course," I say. "That was the first thing I checked."

He tries a few troubleshooting steps with me, and then puts me on hold. While on hold, I shift the laptop on the table and the power brick completely disconnects from the power cord. At some point, my wife must've loosened the connecter from the powerbrick to the power cord and the laptop had given her almost six hours on battery power. She never even realized she wasn't plugged in (and neither did I) because, from a distance, it looked plugged in.

Needless to say, when the tech came back on I just told him that I had no idea what was wrong but it had suddenly started working.

Just for the record, troubleshooting is what I do for a living.

allenalb
05-28-2006, 10:21 PM
i've typed on a laptop while staring at a monitor connected to an entirely different computer and wondered why it wasn't working. the sad thing is that i wasn't the first, my friend did the same thing, got frustrated and handed the laptop to me to fix it. :)

ctmagnus
05-28-2006, 10:52 PM
reeeaaalllyyy loooooonnnng support call, splitting headache, it's easier and cheaper to turn of the noisy piece of equipment that isn't being used atm than to go out and buy a bottle of Tylenol. A few hours later, problems start popping up. Turns out that the instructions just assume that the aforementioned noisy piece of equipment had been turned on the whole time.

seasteve
05-29-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm a 20 Navy veteran who's been troubleshooting all kinds of electronic equipment since 1984. I have made the same kind of bone-head mistakes before and I'm sure I'll do it again.

The key is this; when you get to point where the symptoms don't make sense, go back to the beginning and start over. And I mean ALL THE WAY BACK to power and look at it all again.

Jason Dunn
05-29-2006, 03:36 PM
The key is this; when you get to point where the symptoms don't make sense, go back to the beginning and start over. And I mean ALL THE WAY BACK to power and look at it all again.

Here here! I've had many tech problems that have turned out to be the most obvious of things (cables, power, etc.) so now when I have a problem I start with the basics (checking connections, swapping out cables, etc.) then move onto more complex things.

My wife has a Toshiba M50 laptop, and I bought her a 19" Dell LCD monitor. Well, it's displaying these strage wavy lines on the screen. I swapped out cables (no change), I tried the laptop on a different LCD monitor (problem went away). I got Dell to send me a new monitor (the old one had a stuck red pixel anyway) but had the same problem. I started to eliminate EVERY variable...when I disconnected the laptop from the power brick, the problem vanished. 8O In this case I don't think it was REALLY obvious, but I should have started with the cables sooner. Now I just have to convince Toshiba that there's something wrong with the power brick, or maybe with the power shielding with the whole laptop. &lt;gulp>

Darius Wey
05-29-2006, 04:41 PM

That's a very good point, and not just applicable to technology.

In medicine, it always helps to go back to basics - start with a good history, and then follow on with examination and investigation. You can always extract a lot from the start with a good history. With tech issues, it's exactly the same.

Ed Hansberry
05-29-2006, 05:12 PM
helps to go back to basics - start with a good history, and then follow on with examination and investigation. You can always extract a lot from the start with a good history. With tech issues, it's exactly the same.

That isn't how they do it on House (http://www.fox.com/house/). they always seem to start with some ridiculiously obscure disease. :lol:

kndlewis
05-29-2006, 07:19 PM
As a Radio Maintenance Tech in the Air Force 25 years ago, many times I heard my boss, a Master Seargent, aksing the officer who called to report an outage to their equipment if it was turned on, if it was plugged in, etc. Of course he had to try to be very tactful and diplomatic.
Several times we got to the reported outage equipment to find it working fine! The officer would say "I don't know, it just started working!"

I spent a week trying to get my PC to boot (no OS found), moving drives around, checking the master/slave jumper, power connection, is the cable plugged in properly, etc. Finally called tech support and they suggested it could be the ribbon cable. I wouldn't believe it so to prove them wrong, I swapped ribbon cables and sure enough, it still didn't boot. Ha! So I took it in. When I swapped ribbon cables and took out all the drives except the boot drive, I left the master/slave jumper in the wrong position. So an $80 service to move a jumper because I wouldn't listen to the one advice that was actually correct.

thefunkunfaked
05-29-2006, 07:43 PM
I have not been able to send e-mail in Outlook for the past week and for the life of me, I could not figure out why.. I got a DNS-related error message.. :confused totally:

Just today, when configuring Mobile settings in Outlook 2007, I realized that my e-mail address was incorrectly spelled. The typo was extremely subtle and obviously difficult to notice.

When I corrected that little typo, everything was back to normal.

I am almost ashamed.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

We all learn from experience.

Darius Wey
05-30-2006, 12:04 AM
That isn't how they do it on House (http://www.fox.com/house/). they always seem to start with some ridiculiously obscure disease. :lol:

House is allowed to defy the norm. ;)

allenalb
05-30-2006, 12:52 AM
oh i thought of another one that happened to me recently. my computer wouldn't boot. it would get to the point in post where it would usually count the memory, and then hang just sit there.

i had this problem in the past with a particulary troublesome computer that ended up having bad memory. so i started swapping out sticks. nothing helped. eventually i decided to just go back to basics, and disconnected everything from the motherboard but the processor, memory, and video card. lo and behold it worked. i reconnected everything inside the box, and it still worked. i had no pressing need for any of my usb devices, so i left all of them but my mouse and keyboard off. later that day i reconnected the usb hub (while the computer was in windows) and forgot about it. i didnt' reboot the computer again for a couple of weeks, and then the same problem came back, black screen in post.

this time i systematically went through every component one at a time.

it turned out it was my mp3 player. it is an iAudio X5 (i highly recommend it, it plays FLAC files) and it has usb host capabilities that allow it to be connected directly to a digital camera or as an external hard drive. it turns out if it is in it's cradle before you boot, the motherboard thinks it's the first boot device and tries to boot off of it. as soon as you pull it out of the cradle, the computer continues to post and all is well.

sorry for the long post, the moral is that sometimes, things you would never expect can cause problems, and everyone who said start with the basics is correct.

Steve Jordan
05-30-2006, 01:16 AM
Geez, what haven't I done?...

But okay, here's my latest: Last week, the office internet and e-mail access was down when I got into the office. While checking our systems, I decided to unplug our switch and re-plug it in, to restart it. I carefully traced the plug line from the back of the switch to the outlets... then I apparently had a complete brainfart, pulled the wrong plug anyway, and took down the office phone system!

(Only for a minute, though... all we had to do was reset the time setting.) :|

Ed Hansberry
05-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Oh man, there are some good ones here. One I did years ago was at the office. We were working on our ERP system and I disabled the app in our Citrix Server so basically no one could launch it accidentally. Instead of it being a quick fix, we had to wait until later that night to get a final patch for our issue. I got it and applied it from home then tested it, as an administrator on another server. No problems. Logged out and went to bed. The next morning I am driving in and get a call that our ERP system isn't working. We tried all sorts of things as I was driving in, and now I'm starting to panic because we did NOT need to be down during the day with this thing. It is a 40 minute drive and I had at least 30 min left in my drive. Never did get it working so I hung up in frustration thinking of my contingency plan, which involved backup tapes.

As I was walking up the steps, it dawned on me. "Hey, did I re-enable the app in Citrix?" Sure enough, I hadn't. Took about 3 seconds to fix. :oops:

SHC
05-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Just this Saturday. iMate JAMin wouldn't turn on. Tried soft reset, it would hang with a "bleep". Hmm what's the bleep mean? Not heard it before. Tried everything - no good. Ok, left it in the cradle while I thought about it a while, then hard reset and restore. Working now, battery said 1%! That's what the bleep was! DoH! :oops:

elbowz
05-30-2006, 04:10 PM
About a decade ago I was working support for a large UK PC manufacturer whose largest customer was the MOD.

One particular call involved a server which was misbehaving, but I had been unable to prove a software or hardware fault so persuaded them (against their normal practice and much argument) to return the server, which they agreed to do on the grounds that I was the only person to look at the machine and would take extra special care of the data as it was both highly confidential and irreplacable...

Once the machine arrived in the workshop I fired it up and determined that it was producing errors, deciding to replace the disk with another to see whether software was the cause. However this was one of our first servers with swappable drive bays and the manufacturing tolerances were not as good as they should be, meaning that the drive &amp; tray were pretty tight in the bay. After much yanking and hauling the bay released its grip on the drive - at exactly the same time as I lost mine, the drive flew some thirty feet across the workshop, bounced several times and then slid to a halt with a hefty thump against the opposite wall.

Needless to say, the drive was wrecked... I chickened out of the truth and told a pretty cheesed off army officer that the drive hadn't survived the journey across the country...