View Full Version : Plan confusion

Pebblecrusher
05-27-2006, 10:45 PM
This may not be the appropriate forum for this, but since I was attempting to purchase an i730 it seems like the right place.

I was to be a new Smartphone user, until Verizon tried to sell me a required extra monthly charge. I use RF devices at work and the thought of having my own personal RF device combined with cellular service excited me.

So there I was at the counter, ready to buy the i730 when the Verizon employee asked which data plan I wanted. I questioned the purpose of the data plan and got a very vague answer. To me it sounded like a forced MobileWeb charge. I argued that I knew the WiFi would not be useable unless I was near a hotspot. Even so they could/would not sell me the device unless I paid an extra $50 (unlimited) per month on top of my normal cellular charges.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Ed Hansberry
05-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, the device won't be very usable, other than for voice or SMS, without a data plan unless you are near a hotspot. All data phones (Windows Mobile, PalmOS, many Nokia/Symbian models) come with a data plan. It is sort of like buying a computer but not paying for internet access. The computer is still usable, but you just can't go online.

Now, I don't think that is a required charge, but in his defense, by not buying it doesn't mean that the data won't work. Often it will. You just get slammed with a per KB fee that could be 2-3X the cost of the monthly rate.

Pebblecrusher
05-27-2006, 11:29 PM
That's exactly what I want. I want to use the RF when I'm near a hotspot (public access or home network) and accept that the device is a plain PDA with cellular service when I'm not. But they would not sell me the device without the data plan. Customer Service even claimed it was possible to block the data piece, but then I could not use the WiFi in public hotspots either. This is the freakiest thing I have ever heard of.

I guess I think of it this way. My laptop has an RF radio in it. The PDA is really just a small laptop, but also has cellular service. I don't pay anyone to use the RF in my laptop.

Ed Hansberry
05-27-2006, 11:45 PM
unless they are doing something strange in the ROM, they are lying about no data plan blocking wifi.

Pebblecrusher
05-27-2006, 11:48 PM
My thoughts exactly. I have sent a couple emails off to Samsung and Verizon to see what they say. Who knows...

Ed Hansberry
05-28-2006, 01:06 AM
might check at howard forums too. I think that is where the dll hack came from that allowed verizon phones to still ring if wifi was on.

on the plan itself, get it then cancel immediately after walking out of the store. the service contracts are on the voice plans I think, never the extras.

Pebblecrusher
05-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Now that is an interesting idea.... Thanks! I might try that.

Pebblecrusher
05-28-2006, 03:49 AM
After looking at what plans are available when I try to buy the i730 online, it appears the data and voice are combined in the plan. Though there is a note about 2 separate charges on the bills. So I am not sure I could cancel the data plan and keep the voice and WiFi.

Knowing my luck I'd buy the unit, try to cancel and be told I couldn't.

Pebblecrusher
05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Thought you might be interested to hear the response I got from Verizon. This is the main part of the email I received.
In actuality you do not have to purchase a data plan for the Samsung SCH-i730. However, a -Pay As You Go- feature would be added to the account for 1.5 for every kilobyte. As you know, if you are using WiFi only then you will not be charged.
I responded back and asked if this data piece could be completely blocked, while maintaining cellular and WiFi features.

Ed Hansberry
05-31-2006, 03:10 AM
you can completely block it on your end. When you get the phone, just delete, or munge in some way, the APN that is set up in Connection Manager. That way, if it tries to connect, it wil have either no connection or a misspelled servername.

Pebblecrusher
05-31-2006, 04:13 AM
Well, I am the proud new owner of an i730! Went tonight and the guy behind the counter gave me no grief over not wanting the Data plan. :)

Thanks for the advice Ed! I planned on calling Support tomorrow to see if I can block it on their end, but your solution might work just as well. I believe I saw what you are referring to.

Now to figure out what to put on it and all that good stuff! I've been toying around with the WiFi piece. It's different than what I am used to. On the devices at work it has Mobile Companion, but this one is something else. I didn't play long, but I couldn't find a function that shows you the available RF networks (or APs). I know there is at least one around my house that isn't secured. ;)