View Full Version : Windows XP, File Sharing, 2 Computers?

Typhoon
05-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Does anyone know where I can find out how to create a network between 2 computers so I can share files between them? I want to back up my laptop's data to my desktop. What I did was I used the network wizard on both computers to create a residential gateway network using a LAN cable. But I have no idea how to share files. I tried the offline help directory within Windows XP, but their troubleshooting methods don't seem to work.

Darius Wey
05-25-2006, 08:27 AM
So, a few things:

(1) Have you actually got your network established with valid IP addresses? It seems like you have.

(2) If what you want is a backup solution, you can use a free Microsoft tool called SyncToy. With it, you can establish a partnership between your two computers and have the contents of a folder on one computer mirrored on the other computer.

(3) If you want to open specific folders for sharing, right-click the folder in Windows Explorer, select Properties > Sharing, then modify specific sharing options (namely, tick the 'Share this folder on the network' box and select whether you want network users to modify files).

Typhoon
06-05-2006, 05:56 AM
THanks