View Full Version : Casio Cassiopeia EM-500

ryansvenson
05-24-2006, 08:13 PM
0X I am just wondering if I try to install the latest version of Pocket PC on my Casio Cassiopeia EM-500 will it work? Do I have to buy the latest version of Pocket PC or can I download it somewhere. Thanks!!! :!:

Don't Panic!
05-25-2006, 12:46 AM
It wouldn't work. The latest PPC version is actually called Windows Mobile 5 and it was designed to work with ARM compatiable processors. The EM500 (arguably one of the greatest gaming PPCs ever made) uses a MIPS processor. You couldn't even upgrade to Pocket PC2002 with a MIPS device.

ryansvenson
05-25-2006, 02:47 PM
What is the latest version I could install on it? Thanks 0X :devilboy:

Don't Panic!
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
The best I could find you are some file and driver updates for the Pocket PC 2000 OS that you're running now. They're from Casio Worldwide. http://www.casio.com/support/driverdownloads/casssoftware.html these will update your device but not the operating system.

What happened is about a year or two after the Pocket PC OS was released, Microsoft decreed that only products with ARM compatible processors would be supported. Casio's answer to that was to release the E-200 which runs on a StrongARM processor. But by the time Pocket PC 2003 came out Casio had left the consumer PPC market and switched to their own OS on top of WindowsCE.

It would take major hardware replacements to upgrade an EM500 to any other OS.