View Full Version : Serial

OvERKiLL
05-24-2006, 05:56 AM
I have an iPaq rx3115, and i was wondering, what is the best way to use serial with it, build an IR adapter, can i get a serial sync cable and use that or possibly the expensive route and buy a bluetooth serial port?

Nurhisham Hussein
05-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Bluetooth is expensive? You can get a dongle and associated software for a PC for the equivalent of $15 where I am.

ADBrown
05-24-2006, 05:41 PM
A standard Bluetooth dongle wouldn't help if you were trying to connect to a serial-only device such as a router, programming board, or a Windows NT computer.

Sven Johannsen
05-25-2006, 04:13 AM
I have an iPaq rx3115, and i was wondering, what is the best way to use serial with it, build an IR adapter, can i get a serial sync cable and use that or possibly the expensive route and buy a bluetooth serial port?

If you dig around for it you can get a serial sync cable for it. Any that work with the older iPAQs except the 3600/3700 series will work. There is evena weird cable that has the iPAQ connector and both a USB and serial (9 pin) broken out at the other end. These were popular when the iPAQs first came out and folks were still using a lot of NT (no USB support). Be aware that the pinout is to hook to a PC serial port. If you want to hook to a modem, a router, a GPS. etc (things that also are designed to hook to a PC serial port) you will need a null modem.

Nurhisham Hussein
05-25-2006, 09:06 AM
A standard Bluetooth dongle wouldn't help if you were trying to connect to a serial-only device such as a router, programming board, or a Windows NT computer.

Ah, didn't know that. In that case OvERKiLL, you might want to try here (http://www.pc-mobile.net/compaq.htm).

OvERKiLL
06-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Joy! i think that one will work! i shall order it and try it, when i do, ill post if it works! Thank you

Sven Johannsen
06-06-2006, 03:47 AM
And post if it doesn't, and what you are actually trying to do with it. No-one's asked serial questions for a while, but it'll come back to us.