View Full Version : Moving to WM5... do I have to expect the worst? Please prepare me....

karinatwork
05-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I just ordered and brand new I-mate Jamin, which is supposed to arrive Friday, and I am trying to get my stuff together in the sense of software to be loaded. I haven't been around here much, but I heard horror stories about how WM5 isn't compatible with a lot of software out there. I use my pocket pc a lot for reading, and the ereader doesn't seem to be compatible with WM5, or is it? Has someone tried?

Are there any other things I should be aware of when comparing WM5 to 2003? I guess I'll have to relearn everything... *shudder*

Thanks in advance!

Karin

Sven Johannsen
05-24-2006, 01:03 AM
I can't comment specifically on ereader, but at this point the majority of normal programs have been updated to work on WM5. I have 4 WM5 units and they all work just fine. I have no WM5 units that were upgraded from WM2003 though. I dodn't recall what you had before the Jamin, but be aware that most converged devices do run a bit slower than their non-phone bretheren, due to typically slower processors. That's on purpose to extend battery life a bit. People will tolerate their PPC not lasting a whole day, but they won't tolerate their phone crapping out mid-afternon.

I think you will be happy with WM5. The non-volatile RAM alone has made it worthwhile for me. Never have to be concerned about running the unit dry anymore. Don't know if the Jamin does, but my K-jam even has the option of turning the unit off...really off, like a cell phone. Uses virtually no battery in that state. Great for loooong plane rides.

karinatwork
05-24-2006, 02:12 AM
You mean... are you saying... I mean.... NO MORE HARD RESETS WITH DRAINED DEVICE???????????
:jawdrop:
That is excellent news. I might just like the upgrade. Btw, I had a h4150 before this one (still have, but I am in the process of selling it right now - actually I "practically" already sold it but I can't part with it because I'm so afraid I might miss 2003.

Thanks for the info! :)

ChristopherTD
05-24-2006, 07:37 AM
I use eReader on WM5 and it works perfectly happily. It doesn't support the WM5 soft-buttons, but that is very minor. Just make sure that you use the latest version, I have 2.6.3p installed.

I also use eWallet, ListPro, PocketBreeze, PhatPad, Pocket 15C SE, PocketBible and Resco File Explorer without incident.

Most productivity software vendors now have WM5 compatible versions, though I think some of the games are not necessarily supported.

ChristopherTD
05-24-2006, 07:46 AM
One thing that I have discovered, which maybe WM5 or it may be Pocket Informant (I forgot to mention him).

Alarms for Birthdays (which are set as all-day recurring events) now go off in the middle of the night. On my iMate Jam they happened around 8:00 in the morning. WM5 seems determined to let you know as soon as possible. I used to use my Jam as an alarm clock, but the WM5 device fires off too many spurious reminders.