View Full Version : Performing a Hard or "Clean" Reset on HP hx24xx Pocket PCs WM5

Mister HP
05-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Hey Everyone! I have a little problem. I need to perform a hard or clean reset on my hx running Windows Mobile 5. Now I can reflash my ROM but i was wondering if anybody knows how to perform a hard or clean reset - I want everything cleared from my device- all information.
Thanks,
Mista HP

Darius Wey
05-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Have you misplaced the device manual? Instructions for hard resetting should be in it.

If I recall correctly, you need to hold down the Calendar and iTask buttons simultaneously, then insert your stylus into the reset hole for a couple of seconds. Once you've done that, release the buttons and the stylus from the hole.

Jon Westfall
05-21-2006, 02:13 AM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25724 :way to go:

I think Darius is correct, although toward the end of the thread there are different directions for a hx2750, depending on a "Clean" reset or Hard reset.

Darius Wey
05-21-2006, 04:01 AM
I think Darius is correct, although toward the end of the thread there are different directions for a hx2750, depending on a "Clean" reset or Hard reset.

Good catch, Jon. I'd imagine whatever applies to the hx2700 series would apply to the hx2400 series, so another press of the soft-reset button is probably needed.

Menneisyys
05-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Hey Everyone! I have a little problem. I need to perform a hard or clean reset on my hx running Windows Mobile 5. Now I can reflash my ROM but i was wondering if anybody knows how to perform a hard or clean reset - I want everything cleared from my device- all information.
Thanks,
Mista HP

hx-which? If the 2xxx, follow the above link. If the hx4700, check out http://www.mobilitysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28200 (I've also elaborated on this in my latest, hx4700 bugfix-related article here at PPCT (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=403409) - the forum search engine is everyone's friend ;) ).

Johnston
06-02-2006, 08:33 AM
First off, I would like to thank you all for helping us out with trying to decipher another one of microsoft's maginificent blunders. Sorry if I'm coming across as rude, but I have been trying at least 2 different instruction sets for a clean reset on my upgraded hp ipaq hx2755 for the past 45 minutes and so far all I have accomplished is a complete waste of 45 minutes and serious frustration on this matter. This is probably the most frustrating nuisance in microsoft's new upgrade.

Considering I'm a recent MIS grad., I must seem pretty pathetic, but when something as simple as a hard reset is messed up like this, it kind of annoys the heck out of me. I'm just going to have to waste all of tomorrow afternoon, drive 2 hours to the circuit city where I bought this thing, explain the problem, and hope they do a swap out for the hx2795.

Menneisyys
06-02-2006, 08:36 AM
First off, I would like to thank you all for helping us out with trying to decipher another one of microsoft's maginificent blunders.

Well, it's more of HP's :)

Are you sure you did everything as described at http://www.mobilitysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28200 ? Hard/clean resetting HP PDA's have always been pretty tricky. Sometimes only the 10th attempt works.

Johnston
06-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Yes, I did follow the instructions as said 3 - 5 times already. Short of either a detailed drawing or someone driving to GA in the next few hours, then the 10th try may involve the original non-living multi-function tool: the hammer.

Also, how is it more HP's fault than MS's? MS made the operating system that turned the hx2755 from an excellent unit with tons of storage space into a very compacted unit with less storage space than a compaq ipaq but with tons of processing space, while also creating an entirely new means of reseting a device? I don't even know why there was a need for a newer reset method. All I know is that I am now out a function PDA until this gets fixed, which isn't going to be soon. As it also turns out, circuit city seems to be following in best buys footsteps in terms of PDAs. They are slowly reducing the selection to equal best buy's current selection of NONE. They have 4 PDAs listed on the website, none of which are all that recent, so I'm pretty close to fuming. It's the twisted irony of the universe with me, I do better with computers than most people, though computers are the only thing that makes me want to see red and go ballistic.

Menneisyys
06-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Yes, I did follow the instructions as said 3 - 5 times already. Short of either a detailed drawing or someone driving to GA in the next few hours, then the 10th try may involve the original non-living multi-function tool: the hammer.

Also, how is it more HP's fault than MS's? MS made the operating system that turned the hx2755 from an excellent unit with tons of storage space into a very compacted unit with less storage space than a compaq ipaq but with tons of processing space, while also creating an entirely new means of reseting a device? I don't even know why there was a need for a newer reset method.

It's up to an individual device manufacturer to implement their own hard/clean reset scheme - this is totally independent of MS (I'm not defending MS because I'm a MS MVP myself but because MS has indeed nothing to do with device manufacturers' choices).

For example, Dell uses the traditional Power + Reset in their x51v series (and I think also in the upgraded x50); HTC uses a (compared to HP's indeed idioitic 3-or-4-hands-required button scheme) pretty easy 2 buttons + reset scheme in the Wizard etc.