View Full Version : Sync to Mulitple Computers

possmann
05-16-2006, 04:47 PM
OK - with all the trouble I am having with Activesync and my Treo I am looking at spending some cash to replace my activesync seeing that I have 3 devices and one server (so four locations) to sync with. My work Exchange server, a home pc, a tablet pc and a client's desktop.

Anyone have any recommendations for a software piece that will allow sync with all of these?

Nurhisham Hussein
05-17-2006, 01:44 AM
I used to use this (http://www.mydocsunlimited.com/many_partners/many.htm), but I don't think it's WM5/AS4 compatible. There doesn't seem to have been an update since 2002 8O . That's the only one I know of at the moment, unfortunately.

Janak Parekh
05-17-2006, 03:50 AM
Indeed, syncing with more than 2 isn't supported. Your best bet is to use Exchange as your primary PIM sync, and then set up most of your workstations to use Outlook with Exchange. That's what I do.

I then have one machine on which I do non-Exchange sync. If I need to occasionally access it elsewhere, I can guest, which won't give me PIM but will let me move files, install apps, etc.

And, answering your original question: to the best of my knowledge, ActiveSync replacements are rare, and even moreso for WM5; even Mac WM5 sync solutions are in the early release stages. For desktop sync with WM5, you really must use ActiveSync.

--janak

possmann
05-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Interesting Jan - I used to be able to do this but the problem is profiles - apparently Activesync doesn't allow sync to more than 3 unique devices:
MYPC
MYWORKPC
MYTABLETPC

anything more than that must be deleted... furstrating...

Janak Parekh
05-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Interesting Jan - I used to be able to do this but the problem is profiles - apparently Activesync doesn't allow sync to more than 3 unique devices:
It supports 3? 8O Last I checked, it only supports two. That's why I do most of my syncing direct to Exchange via the EVDO connection, and then I only maintain one profile -- my desktop -- on the rare occasions I need to do USB sync.

--janak

possmann
05-18-2006, 03:00 AM
duh - 2 yes that is correct... I use USB all the time though - I guess therein lies my problem...