View Full Version : Opera Browser?!?!?

biglu315
05-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Is this small screen rendering technology really the best thing since sliced bread????? Or am i a day late on this technology?? I am just diving into this PDA stuff and one big problem I had was that the internet browsing was worthless. The webpages were one long column of text. Opera seemed to be the first browser that I saw that made the mobile browsing better. Am I right??? or Late??

Edgar_
05-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Late.

NetFront and Thunderbrowser has been doing Render Fit for a number of years. PIE is not - never has, and that's probably where your prior experience comes from.

I believe I read that Opera Mini is actually a Midlet and most of the work is done on the server.

biglu315
05-16-2006, 04:36 PM
So what browser do you guys use for your pocket pc's??

Edgar_
05-16-2006, 04:43 PM
I use Netfront 3.3

It supports Java (mostly, not perfectly) and Flash - multi windows, True VGA and more.

http://www.access.co.jp/english/news/index.html#0428

ADBrown
05-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Is this small screen rendering technology really the best thing since sliced bread????? Or am i a day late on this technology?? I am just diving into this PDA stuff and one big problem I had was that the internet browsing was worthless. The webpages were one long column of text. Opera seemed to be the first browser that I saw that made the mobile browsing better. Am I right??? or Late??

No, you're correct. Actually, Opera is quite a large cut above Netfront and Thunderhawk, and light-years beyond Internet Explorer. I assume you're using the native Windows Mobile version of Opera, rather than the Opera Mini version which is Java based. If you have a device with a VGA screen, like the Axim X51v, it's even better.

juni
05-17-2006, 05:47 AM
I actually use PIE (which also has one column mode). Is the WM5 compatible VGA version of Opera out yet?

ADBrown
05-17-2006, 05:57 AM
They have a free beta available until sometime in June or so, when the full version of Opera Mobile 8.5 will be available.

buzzard
05-17-2006, 11:43 AM
I believe I read that Opera Mini is actually a Midlet and most of the work is done on the server.
Is that correct ? That would make it the same as Thunderhawk or Skweezer and not necessarily a tool I would use to access banking or other secure websites.

Edgar_
05-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Yup Opera MINI is a midlet. Very fast but has some limitations

Opera 8.5 beta is a full version not a midlet. But no where does it say supports VGA but I would think it would have to. Current version expires mid June with another Beta being released then.

Been checking the forums and under WM5 there is alot of complaints about memory issues, slowness and random starts.

I'll stick with Netfront. With Atom/RSS support, VGA, Flash, Java, popup blocking, frames, launch local apps for attachments, copy/paste from page, etc - for me its superior to Opera.

ADBrown
05-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Suit yourself. I find Opera to be a huge improvement over Netfront. Yes, it does have VGA--Native VGA, with no need for a hack. It has frames, popup blocking, copy/paste, file download/launch... I don't think it has RSS support or Flash, but bear in mind, it is only a beta. And it does fit-to-screen rendering better than the last version of Netfront that I saw.