View Full Version : A Roundup of All Pocket PC Games Part I Published!!!

Menneisyys
05-13-2006, 08:44 PM
"This is the first part in the series of my (hopefully) continuing roundup series on all Pocket PC games. In this series, I will (try to) review, (particularly compliance-wise) test and, what is more, compare all the available games on the Pocket PC platform.

As this is, fortunately (there’re quite a few games out there for the Pocket PC and new ones are arriving at a fast pace, showing that the platform is indeed living and thriving, despite what some people have predicted), a daunting task of big proportions, I’ve decided to start it “small” in the first installment of the series, by “only” reviewing games that also run on MIPS-based Pocket PC’s.

Please note that these games all have ARM versions and, therefore, are almost all compatible with even current Pocket PC’s. Therefore, reading this roundup will be highly useful for anyone having a Pocket PC – not just people with MIPS-based Pocket PC’s. It should be stressed that, up until 2003-2004, the majority of the games (except for mostly 3D titles, which weren’t particularly good on ARM devices either because of the lack of dedicated 3D accelerators) were released using both ARM and MIPS versions. As old games are, technically, not necessarily bad, this article may be a gold-mine for ARM users too. To help you in comparing a given title to current (2006) titles, I’ve tried to provide comparative remarks on all titles reviewed here to current ones so that even ARM users can see whether a given “old” game is worth checking out because there aren’t later, ARM-only (and, therefore, in this roundup not reviewed) titles to provide better (or similar) gaming experience."

I can't include the entire article in here because it contains a LOT of tables (which the forum engine isn't capable of rendering). Follow the link to http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/menneisyys/052006MIPSGames.asp .

And, remember, this article is aimed at not only MIPS, but also any Pocket PC user - the reviewed games, emulators, game interpreters etc. all have ARM/Xscale versions!!